A Question....

Hi All:

In all the rigamarole regarding the namechecks, a question occured in my mind sometime back, then I forgot about it. Today, I thought of it again. So here goes:

In the namecheck process, exactly what names are checked? Just the beneficiary's name, or all names that appear on the application? For example, the application contains not only her name, but mine, her parents, my parents, etc. Are all these names submitted for check? The reasons for these questions are as follows:

1. My fiance has an extremely common name in China.

2. My name, although not especially common, is not unheard of in Irish circles. (No, I am not nor have never been a member of the IRA :P )

3. My dad's name is even more common.

Now, suppose during the namecheck they have a "hit" on one of these names. What happens then? Is their software just name sensitive or does it also include ID numbers or Social Security numbers? Surely you can guess why I am concerned. I would hate to be held up in the process even further, just because of having a common name, even though our records are all clean.

I apologize if this question has already been answered in the past but I am relatively new to the board. I would appreciate any info on this, especially what names are included.

Any info on this?

:P :P :P

Guest kochevnik

I think you hit on a VERY good point ... the whole concept of the US government checking 'names' is TOTALLY bogus ... I did a search on Yahoo for my wife's name and found 34 matches here in the USA ... one can only imagine how many matches there would be INSIDE the PRC.

As a computer guy I know exactly how fallible such 'searches' are. Garbage in, Garbage Out and all that. NO WAY are these 'namechecks' anything other than a complete sop for all the bozos who really believe the 'government' can protect us from their definition of 'terrorism'.

AND ... why in GOD's name aren't these 'namechecks' conducted at the same time the original petition (I129 or I130) is adjudicated. WHY are these documents passed thru the same agencies hands again and again ...

oh, I forgot ... it provides busywork for all those 'bureaucraps' who need the high class version of government welfare.

But on the bright side :D I have a wife who is A-1, top of the line, world-class, somebody who I could have NEVER found amongst the 'women' of this country.

So I (and you all :P get the last laugh in the end, don't we ...

I can live with that :P

Likewise agree, your question is good...while they're in there, lets' make sure "joe blow" isn't some wacko, "march on Washington at the World Bank summits" type.

I DON'T (again, who the heck knows for sure except them) think we, the petitioners or any other names submitted with applications are checked. Their concern (since they're so BACKED UP, that better be :o ) is the immigrant and his/her background.

BUT, critical here, regarding one statement you made, and this I'm sure of. You can go back (that's a LOT of reading, but regardless) in candle archives (ptenn, yes?) and read that YES, NOW, (not before, maybe but doubtful) they are submitting with the I-129.

By the time the person gets to the interview, (a lot of cases haven't been issued visas, but many more HAVE, thus it's true) the case is cleared and the visa issued same or shortly thereafter day.

If you've got a recent interview, you're chances seem better than the "black hole" group of August-early September. Hope this helped your question.

just my two cents...

but yes - they ARE checking our names as well. when flags come up then the file gets individual attention. so if you had security clearance in the past (or current) that comes up. i don't know about felonys and stuff like that.

a contact i talked to at Dept of Justice thought it was absurd that they are checking NAMES and not FINGER PRINTS! face it, in most countries it would not be difficult to get a real passport with a bogus name on it.

but i better shut up before i start giving them ideas.

PS: don - awsome info!

:blink:

Thanks to all the above for the useful information. I am not sure about any of this either, but it scares the hell out me that, even though both of us have a clean record, we could be held up due to have a name in common with someone who in fact has some sort of background issues. Glad to hear that perhaps the system is sensitive to items other than name, like place of birth, etc.

Another thing. My lady's father was a career military officer and obviously a party member, although she is not. I would hate like hell to think this would cause our case to be spit out into a pile for "special investigation". Good God, what are we up against here? I guess no one knows for sure. The only thing I do know is that no one at GZ, DOS, CA et. al seems willing to say anything for sure.

Hope to hear more along these lines on this thread. I guess we are all still confused. But thanks again for those who responded. It is an important issue I think. :blink: :) :unsure:

i agree that our country needs to be made secure. it's one of the reasons i was patient for so long waiting for the visa. but it's hard to understand why we have to fight to get our chinese wives here legally, when a million illegals can just walk across the boarder every year.

on the civil liberties side? i guess i'm the wrong guy to ask. MI-5, all for it. troops on the boarders, yesterday is not soon enough. wiretaps, survailance, assasinations, whatever it takes.