My fiance Yanxia was married for a very short while, and now I need to prove to USCIS that she is divorced. I have a few questions:

1, I know that we need a notarised copy of the divorce decree form the notary office

2, we also need the translator to sign a form certifying the translation.

3, The question is do we have to have the tranlated copy notarised as well.

The crux of the problem is that the divorce was in Lizhou, a small city whose notary office is unable to translate the document to English. We can get the document translated in Guangzhou but it would be a pain to then get the translated copy notarised back in Lizhou.

thanks
Jay

My fiance Yanxia was married for a very short while, and now I need to prove to USCIS that she is divorced. I have a few questions:

1, I know that we need a notarised copy of the divorce decree form the notary office

2, we also need the translator to sign a form certifying the translation.

3, The question is do we have to have the tranlated copy notarised as well.

The crux of the problem is that the divorce was in Lizhou, a small city whose notary office is unable to translate the document to English. We can get the document translated in Guangzhou but it would be a pain to then get the translated copy notarised back in Lizhou.

thanks

Jay

Generally the original, translation and certification are all bound together in a booklet. I don't see any reason why it cannot all be done at any notarial office, as long as you have a true copy of the divorce decree in Chinese to start with.

I think the notarization of the translated copy would have to occur when the translation is made - not in Lizhou, unless you find a translator there.

Right, since one would hardly certify a translation they didn't do or at least was done by a translator trusted by the notary.

The key is to have a true Chinese document and take it to a Notarial office that can provide a notarial translation of it. If you don't have an original document to begin with then you have a different issue. This often occurs with Chinese birth certificates, for example.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

We have the original document supplied by the court and we had that translated, but we were REF'd with USCIS stating that they " all chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary office and issued in the form of notorial certificates" so that certificate will be notarised but does a translated copy need to be notarised as well.

jay

Edited by evansfan (see edit history)

We have the original document supplied by the court and we had that translated, but we were REF'd with USCIS stating that they " all chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary office and issued in the form of notorial certificates" so that certificate will be notarised but does a translated copy need to be notarised as well.

jay

The original Chinese certificate is taken to a notarial office for translation and notarizing. What you get is a bound booklet with the original, translation and notarial certification. This is what you need for all official Chinese documents you submit during the immigration process.

Translated documents are called "certified English translations".

From the consulate website: "Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public."

Usually they include a sworn statement by the translator like:

I typed name , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled .

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address

I have a copy of my SO in front of me

Notarial Certificate

This is to certify that the English translation attached hereto is in conformity with the chinese original of the notarial certificate (2006) XXXXXXXXXX

A few pages later

Notarial Certificate

(translation)

(2006)XXXXXXXXX

This is to certify that the duplicate copy attached hereto is in comformity with the original of the divorce certificateXXXXXXXX issued by the civil affairs bureau of chendu city on august XXXXXXXX The special seal for marriage registration of the civil affairs bureau of chendu city is found to be authentic. The english translation is found to be in conformity with the chinese original.

Notary signature

Seal

People's Republic of china

Date

Next page

The applicants applied to register divorce In accordance with marriage law of PR China they are permitted to register divorce and this certificate is issued hearby.

All in English with copy in chinese attached with signature and seal

One last question, Is the notorial certificate certifying the divorce enough for the USCIS or does the divorce decree need to be translated and notorized-jay

When it is notarized and made into the "white book", it is already translated and certified and notarized (same as the birth, divorce, single certificate, police check). The answer is yes, it is accepted by USCIS when done this way.

Remember any document that is not in English that you submit needs to be translated.

One last question, Is the notorial certificate certifying the divorce enough for the USCIS or does the divorce decree need to be translated and notorized-jay

When it is notarized and made into the "white book", it is already translated and certified and notarized (same as the birth, divorce, single certificate, police check). The answer is yes, it is accepted by USCIS when done this way.

Remember any document that is not in English that you submit needs to be translated.

Thank you, this all coming to a head because the notary office is balking at signing the document that they are certified translators

The one page certificate indicating names and dates is sufficient, provided it is in the notarial booklet. Some USC's make the mistake of trying to get full decrees including property settlements "translated" and certified. What is appropriate is a one page document with names and dates, that is a "certified copy". For the USC, it is generally a certified copy of only the page the judge signs granting the divorce.

The one page certificate indicating names and dates is sufficient, provided it is in the notarial booklet. Some USC's make the mistake of trying to get full decrees including property settlements "translated" and certified. What is appropriate is a one page document with names and dates, that is a "certified copy". For the USC, it is generally a certified copy of only the page the judge signs granting the divorce.

That is good advice with no children, but the full decree will show who has custody of the child if one is involved.

That is good advice with no children, but the full decree will show who has custody of the child if one is involved.

It will but my wife has a child. She has a separate one page document indicating custody and that has its own notarial booklet. I wonder what others have done.