Unmarried Certificate?

After teh medical check my fiancee was told that her unmarried certificate might have some problems.

It is a statement from Shanghai... It says that she is not married and there is no record of her ever marrying in Shanghai, but they can't guarantee she is not married somewhere else.

I did not think this was a problem, after all localities marry.

What exactly should the unmasrried certificate say?

Is it more of an affidavit than a statement from government?

This is urguent because she is now near Guangzhou staying with her mother. Her locality is Shanghai. Interview is in 6 days.

What should the Unmarried Certificate say?

I will clarify what we have....

She got a statement from the local notary in Shanghai saying that she is not married. At the bottom of it, it said that they can't guarantee taht she is not married somewhere else.

I figured that is not much of a problem, after all, it is true that a locality chan't search every other locality.

She has never been married before if this is relevant.?

I cannot say whehther it will be a problem or not.

I suspect these papers can differ in their language... there is more than one way to do this...

Here is what our's said, it is a sworn statement signed by my SO (not a statement from the local authorities as to their understanding):

I, the undersigned: [Chinese National], female, was born on mmm dd, yyyy, now residing at [Address].

I hereby solemnly make the statement that I have never been married by registration up to the date when tihs statement is made. I pledge that the above statement is absolutely true, otherwise, I will bear all the legal responsibilities.

[signed]

[Dated]

Then the next few pages are the notary stating she was in his presences and signed it.. that the translation conforms with the original, etc...

--------

Based on the method of our sworn statement, I'm not sure if you must have this done in your home residence. You could probably get a sworn statement done and notarized in GUZ as a backup for the interview...

I cannot say whehther it will be a problem or not.

I suspect these papers can differ in their language... there is more than one way to do this...

Here is what our's said, it is a sworn statement signed by my SO (not a statement from the local authorities as to their understanding):

I, the undersigned: [Chinese National], female, was born on mmm dd, yyyy, now residing at [Address].

I hereby solemnly make the statement that I have never been married by registration up to the date when tihs statement is made. I pledge that the above statement is absolutely true, otherwise, I will bear all the legal responsibilities.

[signed]

[Dated]

Then the next few pages are the notary stating she was in his presences and signed it.. that the translation conforms with the original, etc...

--------

Based on the method of our sworn statement, I'm not sure if you must have this done in your home residence. You could probably get a sworn statement done and notarized in GUZ as a backup for the interview...

Based on David's example and the fact that marriages in China must be registered in one party's home town, I expect the statement you have will be sufficient.

David, does this statement go in the sealed packet at the hospital? If not, it may not be asked for anyway.

David, does this statement go in the sealed packet at the hospital? If not, it may not be asked for anyway.

This statement is basically the notarial translation for "marital status", that for K1 they are single (unmarried). This along with the other notarial translations (birth cert, police cert) all do go in the sealed envelope. In that sense, it is a required doc for K1s...

That statement was placed into the sealed envelope.

The lady at the hospital said most people write a statement. We had a statement written.

Apparently the marriage laws in China have changed. A person can get married in any locality. That is why that statement saying they can only guarantee she is not married in that locality is included.

We will get a back up affidavit from Shenzhen.

Oh boy, I hope we're not throwing a hail mary pass.

The lady at the hospital said most people write a statement. We had a statement written.

Apparently the marriage laws in China have changed. A person can get married in any locality. That is why that statement saying they can only guarantee she is not married in that locality is included.

She has a form that arrived in P-4 that she will complete at the interview and will swear that she is not married. Hopefully that and the Notary statement will be all that is needed. I am sure the Consulate has seen this type of disclaimer before and understands.

She has a form that arrived in P-4 that she will complete at the interview and will swear that she is not married. Hopefully that and the Notary statement will be all that is needed. I am sure the Consulate has seen this type of disclaimer before and understands.

good catch lee... that Intent to Marry does include language as to the being 'legally free to marry"... makes one wonder why one needs it from the local office... :roller:

Good luck on the interview.. please report back the certificate issue in any outcome...