Interview Success on 11/21/05 !!!

After a 14 month trek, Kelly (my wife) and I finally arrived at the journey's end (for the visa that is !!!). We filed the I-130 visa petition with the Vermont Service Center (VSC) on 09/09/04 with a NOA1 of 09/16/04. Never considered the K3 since the VSC was moving "fast" at the time, not sure if it still is. Funny how the USCIS process was consuming our thoughts at the time but once we progressed to the NVC, then the USCIS was no longer a concern.

Probably should of filed for the K3 (I-129f) as Kelly's interview would of occured earlier, with the K3 converting to the CR1. This was one of a number of oversights we made along the way. At the NVC I calculated we "lost" 32 days for being cautious in returning the forms. From not pre-generating the forms to waiting until I had my 2004 W2 forms to file the I-864, our approach was "error on the side of caution" as to not make a mistake during the process. For us it seemed to work.

Next was the nine week delay from shipment of the case from the NVC to "entered into the computer" at Guangzhou. When the average at the time was six weeks, our concern was growing when other passed us by. Now, I see many are experiencing the same wait time or longer. However, our "2nd namecheck" completion time occured quickly.

Once at Guangzhou, we like others e-mailed the consulate with questions concerning the status of our case. Always received a response, sometimes not the reply we were looking for though. Looking back, it appears the consulate replied promptly and specifically on questions that "mattered" (in their process not the process we have in our minds). At the time, our case consumed five and half months at the consulate from case "entered into the computer" until interview date. Many other cases were quicker than ours, but we tried to concentrate on our situation. Possibly unlike other couples, we knew going into the process that the "process time" for couples from Chinese was the longest when compared to couples from other countries. And the time passed faster the further into the process we progressed (liked aging I think).

During the past two years I have been to China seven times, and we have bought a new house (apartment) in Shenzhen. We plan to keep both our home in China and our house in the United States. And did I mention that I am broke now but much happier. I know this has happened to a number of us !!!

Even though we felt confident regarding our relationship pertaining to the eventual interview outcome, I still experienced lingering doubts about interview success until Kelly actually received her passport with the visa attached. My wife never had a doubt on the successful outcome, but she is much more optimistic than I.

11/11/05..Depart USA via Continental Airlines at Newark NJ (EWR).

11/12/05..Arrive Hong Kong, then bus to Shenzhen.

11/14/05..Arrive Guangzhou by train.

11/15/05..Medical Examination on Shamian Island. Expediated same-day results. Return to Shenzhen

11/20/05..Arrive Guangzhou again, hotel two blocks from "Consulate" building in Tianhe District

Like other members we have carefully "constructed" our interview documentation for the day of the interview. Following David's (DavidZixuan) advice, we used three binders and one folder; one for financials, one for correspondence (phone logs, e-mails, chats), one for photos, and the folder for letters and back-up documents. Also had six additional small photo albums. This weighed about 7 - 10 pounds, and we used a big clear "ziploc" plastic bag. My wife was not happy about the weight, but I thought it was less than what others from CFL members have taken to the interveiw ???

11/21/05..Day of Interview

..........06:00..Wake up, too early for my wife !!!

..........06:45..Leave hotel, crisp cool morning, required a sweater.

..........06:55..Arrive consulate building, Kelly's appointment at 07:15.

The area in front of the entrance is fenced off with metal barriers (similiar to wooden horses I remember as a kid). There are a number of Chinese security guards. You must enter at the right-side where there are two portable scanning booths. Kelly and I entered this area (the staging area beyond the metal barriers but in front of the entrance to the building), she had to present her passport and "Appointment letter". Basically two lines, the one to the left for "immigrant type" visas (K1/K3/CR1/IR1) and the line of the right for "other type" visas (student, business, tourist). I meet Bob (bobmal99) who was there with his wife, their two children were there for their interviews. Also talked at length with another gentleman from the northeast that morning. One note, the Chinese security guards would not permit "non-American" persons to linger near the metal barriers, on either side !!!

..........07:40..Estimate about 70 - 90 people in the immigrant visa line, less in the other line. Line finally starts to move inside. My wife is one of the first called into the building. Take a picture as she enters the building. The security guards are not happy with this !!! Talked for about 30 minutes then decide to take a walk, I do not do well with waiting and worrying.

..........07:40 - 10:05..Kelly inside the consulate.

Standard "stuff" happens. First, she turned in the sealed packet from the hospital, pay the additional $45 (for visa fee), fingerprints taken, signs DS-230 Part II (all these occured with Chinese staff).

Her ticket number is 1052. Not sure what this means since she was approximately the 10th person to be called for an interview at, I think, Window 32 !!! Her observations; many passed, interviews were relatively short (with a few exceptions), however she did see a few blue slips. One person who's American fiancee/spouse was there, failed the interview, did not have the proper notorial documentation.

She approaches the interview window, takes the three binders out of the bag and places them next to the window.

Kelly'said her interview consisted of three questions and took about 30 seconds.

A pleasant VO greets Kelly in Chinese.

My wife replies in English.

VO is happy she can speak English, he replies that her English is better than his Chinese !!!

My wife said she can read and write English well but she speaks English only average.

Question 1:.....Who helped you in applying for the visa ?

Question 2:.....How did you meet ?

Question 3:.....How long have you known each other ?

The VO said this was all and she passed the interview.

My wife asked the VO if he wanted to see any of her documentation/photos/etc. that she brought; he replied no !!!

She thanked him and they say goodbye.

..........10:05... Depart the consulate area/floor. Before she exits the building, the hanger-ons (many of them) ask her and the other applicants if they have passed the interview. I do not understand why this cannot be controlled within the building itself ???

..........10:10..Leaves the building and I greet her outside. Of course she says that she has failed the interview but I knew better !!!

..........10:20..Return to the hotel and crash for awhile.

..........13:00 - 19:00..Shop in Guangzhou.

..........20:00..I am sleeping, I was suprised how mentally exhausted that I was. My wife did not have the same problem !!!

11/22/05..My birthday

..........12:30 - 15:00..Lunch with Joanne and Jia Ying (Randy_W fiancee). Very relaxing after all involved passed their interviews !!!

..........15:00 - 20:30..Shop till you drop at the Tee Mall in Guangzhou.

11/23/05..Pick-up Day

..........09:50..Arrived by taxi to JunYuan Post Office. About 1.5 miles from consulate building.

..........09:53..Got number (B0130) and then wait in line. The current number being serviced was B038.

..........10:53..One hour later our number is called. There are 3 postal employees processing the packets.

..........11:00..Checked the documentation and the visa is there! Made sure all the spelling/numbers are correct before we left the post office.

When you enter the post office, the passport/visa pick-up area is on the far right closest to the entrance. A "number" machine is located soon after your enter on the right. There are two green buttons and two red buttons. Press one of the red buttons to get your ticket with the number. Then wait your turn until the number is called. Your fiancee/spouse will need their National Identity Card and possibly her "Appointment letter".

..........11:30..Leisurely walk back to the hotel.

..........12:30..Lunch with Joanne.

..........14:09..Train to Shenzhen, 1 hour 10 minute ride.

..........15:30..Kelly's younger brother, his wife, and various cousins arrive.

..........17:30..Home style dinner including, free ranging organic black chicken fresh from her aunt's farm in Hunan Province.

A few observations:

CR1:...I assumed during the interview the VO would ask my wife for random "proof of relationship" documents. I believed this since we went the CR1 route exclusively. Unlike the K1/K3 route in which the petitioner supplies sample "proof of relationship" documents with their filing (I think so but am not sure), for the CR1 this is not the case. However, we were extremely careful in filing all the documents, including a cover letter with each filing required (I-130, I-864, DS-230). The only "extra" included was a copy of my wife's Notorial Birth Certificate. This was not required but members on VisaJourney.com recommended this and since we had it, this was included with our original I-130 filing. It lists Kelly's father and mother which is another "verified" piece of information the government has before the interview.

Documentation:...A very sore spot with my wife. She was dragging around all the docementation. I saw no one else with the same amount of documentation as us. I thought our amount of "stuff", by weight, was less than many CFL members ??? But not compared to everyone else at the interview that day. Even the consulate staff felt sorry for her while she was moving from station to station !!! They asked why she brought so much with her. So she let me have it after the interview, particularly since the VO did not want to see anything at all !!!

Interview:...Like many members before us stated, I believe four items are "key" to a successful interivew:

1......Petitioner's income and employment time.

2......Ability to communicate, usually in English.

3......Number of visits by the petitioner to China.

4......Your fiancee's/spouse's confidence during the interview.

Items 1. & 3. are known to the VO before the interview. Items 2. & 4. are know within the first 15 - 20 seconds of the interview.

A few secondary items that can either help or hurt:

5......Contacts with the consulate via e-mail during the process. No longer possible I think ???

6......Visit to the consulate for American Citizen's Hour.

7......Prior marriage(s) and children for both the petitioner and beneficiary.

I do believe my wife's interview outcome was pre-determined, so this had to be based on items 1. & 3. with items 5. & 6. lending minor help in our case. Items 2. & 4. could have only been a negative at the time of the interview, "maybe" causing the VO to ask additional questions if the English/confidence is lacking (but I am not convinced of this). This is only my opinion, and as always, something or someone can derail an otherwise "good" case.

Thanks to all the members who have helped us during our journey, with special mention to nooneufo, Richard (Chinese_Wife!!!}, Wayne (olemanoman1950}, Michael (Bahan), Dave (sailorboy), Joanne, David (DavidZixuan), and finally donahso for carrying this website on his shoulders.

If you have made through this post, then congratulations, you are a better person that I !!!

I do have one question, when we arrive the USA, and complete the I-94 form, what do we use as the A-number. On Kelly's visa is an eight-digit Registration Number, I am assuming this is her A-number ???

Thanks all

Kelly & Mark

Edited by mlspyl (see edit history)

Nice write-up Mark. I'm glad all went well for your wife Kelly. I believe this may be the first time I've ever seen anyone mention the signing of the DS-230 Part II in detail. I remember when it used to be an "illusive" subject. Thanks for the information.

About the A-number, the Alien Registration number, you should've first seen that number on the CIS approval notice of the I-130 (I-797). It is an A- followed by eight digits. A02 345 678. My wife had the K3 visa and that had an eight digit 'red ink' visa number that was later needed for AOS but it wasn't the A number. Things may be different with the immigrant visa.

Anyways, happy to hear all went well. Happy Thanksgiving.

Mark,

Congratulations to you and your wife for the successful interview... a great post.... look forward to more as the transition takes place.....

Congratulations. It's been a long time coming, but I guarantee it's worth the wait. Funny about the documentation. Jingwen just about had her weight in documentation, and the VO didn't bother with it. After the interview, we returned to the hotel, and I started tossing most of the stuff, but Jingwen was very concerned that someone would be going through the trash and might find useful documents, etc. So, I ended up shredding everything by hand.

Best wishes.