Getting ready for interview

Our interview is a little over two weeks away and I wanted to check over my interview evidence...could you guys have a look and tell me if I'm missing anything?

--> med. exam forms/marriage certificate/birth certificate/police certificate/DS-230 part II/GIV 24

--> I-864 from me, I-864 from my father as cosponsor

--> Photos (all the way from 2002 to present, including a trip with John's father, plus photos of when we registered our marriage)

--> Other proof of marriage relationship:

*e-mails from 2002 to present

*credit card bills showing we share an account

*insurance letters showing John is on my policy

*lease with both of our names on it

*letters from 3rd parties addressed to us at same address

*tickets from two trips we took together

*letter from me describing how/when we met, history of our relationship

*Affidavit from parents attesting to the validity of our marriage

*letters from my family to John for his birthday

--> Proof of domicile in US

*plane ticket from return trip

*e-mails discussing trips home (am collecting)

*bank records in the US

*a letter from parents stating my permanent residence is their home (am collecting)

*driver's license (am collecting)

-->Proof of John's ability to survive in US

*TOEFL/GRE scores

*his master's degree

*e-mail discussing publication of John's article in US journal

--> Extra financials: my bank records in China

Another question about organizing stuff for the interview...does everything have to be in completely transparent bags/cases? We have transparent folders, but we're going to put them in a filing case that is not. The filing case is very compact and easy to open...I'm thinking there won't be a problem, but just wanted to bounce it off you guys.

Edited by Jocelyn (see edit history)

I wish I had been as well organized as you. Sounds like you've got your bases covered. Just make sure the documents with expiration dates (police, medical, etc.) are current.

As far as transparent bags/cases, I don't know if the rules have changed since Jingwen went for her interview in February, 2004. We used 3 ring binders with opaque covers. Inside were "pocket folders" to hold certain of the documents (I-134, tax returns, certificates, receipts, etc.) or tabs to mark the bulk stuff like photos, correspondence, etc. Fortunately, Jingwen had her two teenaged kids with her to help carry the binders. I doubt if she could have carried the stuff by herself.:P

Here's my sept interview if you want to read:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...topic=12690&hl=

---

I decided upon three clear folders, which would be handed in total to the VO so that there was no chance of suggesting she handed the wrong item:

1) Pictures, taped to paper and labeled with dates.

2) Financials

3) Correspondence - just a sampling to keep it small.

Then two separate large folders with various 'backup' material. I had my SO write on paper and put as the first page a kind of table of contents to remind her of what is in each bag.

Good luck !

Thanks both!

David I must confess I've read through your interview already hundreds of times -- and no doubt a few more before I head over. :mf_sleep:

So, I take it that unless it's opaque/see-through stuff, they're going to give you trouble about it, right? I guess if that's the case, we'll just stick with the transparent folders then.

And another thing...do you think they will have questions about me b/c my job is currently based in China? Would it be a good idea to write a letter stating my intentions for employment when I get to the US?

Edited by Jocelyn (see edit history)
Thanks both!

David I must confess I've read through your interview already hundreds of times -- and no doubt a few more before I head over. ;)

So, I take it that unless it's opaque/see-through stuff, they're going to give you trouble about it, right? I guess if that's the case, we'll just stick with the transparent folders then.

And another thing...do you think they will have questions about me b/c my job is currently based in China? Would it be a good idea to write a letter stating my intentions for employment when I get to the US?

164007[/snapback]

All I can say about the opaque issue is that 'most' appear to follow this method, although some have reported not doing it... But if there is any doubt, I'd play it safe and stick to what works for the majority.

Re: your work situation. As you know, we have a few DCFers... and obviously they are in the same boat... but issues of proper domicile and [future] work don't seem to raise any issues as most DCFers (if not really all) have joint sponsors. (Maybe others can comment if these issues have indeed been brought up in an interview).

I know that 9FAM speaks a little about the employability of the 'immigrant' and I think it is useful to have a write-up for that, particularly if they already have a possible job or interviews lined up (obviously someone has helped arranged this). Will you get asked for it ? I'd say there is 99.9% chance that you will not... but it's just another item to 'pull out of your sleeve' should a VO come up with a line of questioning in this direction.

I would apply the same to you; why not have something in case you are asked.. particularly if you are questioned and it will help you to think through your future plans as well... which you can share with your SO...

---

But honestly, I see these items as being more useful in some sort of 'overcome' than the actual interview...

My impression is that if the VO suspects/questions anything, they will push it into the 'overcome' stage, since they don't have time to review everything but want to move on to the next interview...

A denial should not be looked at so much as an end, but "we want more time to review something"...

---

The bottom line: Don't make it out bigger than it really is. Most are straight forward intervews in which they want to ask a few questions and see a few documents... Know the top 10 questions well, and have the financials well established with joint sponsor, etc. try not to stress too much, as hard as that is to accept right now... :)

well thought out, and well organized.... you're on track for success.....

I brought my SO a fabric type of accordion style folder with a zipper top at Staples. I wrote the tabs in english and she in Chinese. As long as you're organized and your SO knows which divider the docs are in there shouldn't be any problem what folders you use. They did not ask or hassle her about her documents holder.

Our interview is a little over two weeks away and I wanted to check over my interview evidence...could you guys have a look and tell me if I'm missing anything?

--> med. exam forms/marriage certificate/birth certificate/police certificate/DS-230 part II/GIV 24

--> I-864 from me, I-864 from my father as cosponsor

--> Photos (all the way from 2002 to present, including a trip with John's father, plus photos of when we registered our marriage)

--> Other proof of marriage relationship:

*e-mails from 2002 to present

*credit card bills showing we share an account

*insurance letters showing John is on my policy

*lease with both of our names on it

*letters from 3rd parties addressed to us at same address

*tickets from two trips we took together

*letter from me describing how/when we met, history of our relationship

*Affidavit from parents attesting to the validity of our marriage

*letters from my family to John for his birthday

--> Proof of domicile in US

*plane ticket from return trip

*e-mails discussing trips home (am collecting)

*bank records in the US

*a letter from parents stating my permanent residence is their home (am collecting)

*driver's license (am collecting)

-->Proof of John's ability to survive in US

*TOEFL/GRE scores

*his master's degree

*e-mail discussing publication of John's article in US journal

--> Extra financials: my bank records in China

Another question about organizing stuff for the interview...does everything have to be in completely transparent bags/cases? We have transparent folders, but we're going to put them in a filing case that is not. The filing case is very compact and easy to open...I'm thinking there won't be a problem, but just wanted to bounce it off you guys.

163980[/snapback]

It looks like you are quite organized and thorough. John should easily get the approval.

As a last minute preparation, John should re-read all those documents, particularly the DS230, your biographical data, and financial support I-864 from both you and your father. The VO likes to ask those personal questions, such as your father and mother, where they live and work because they all pertain to familiarity with your family - a sure sign of marriage is knowing the SO's family inside and out.

Many CFL members post lists of questions asked at the interview, and many seem too short and too simple. My laopo's first report was also short and sweet. Then a few days later, when she was back home, she recalled and told me more on the interview questions. Not short and sweet at all. They were more like 10 to 12 questions. Many of the information the VO gathered were in conversation mode and and do not appear like direct questions. From what my laopo told me, I found many of the information gathered were related to knowledge of family. That's in addition to my job and employment, and where I live. The information in the answers have to match with the information provided in those biographical sketch and other documents such as DS230 and I-864 affidavit of support.

According to my laopo, one lady in an adjacent booth failed to get the red slip because she failed to recognize and stumbled with the answer to a question about her SO's past - I forgot whether it was about the in-laws or about the SO's past marriage.

David:

Thanks for your thoughts on everything! I definitely agree that chances are, the VO won't ask for most of this stuff...but, yeah, it's always good to have it just in case we fall into that 0.1% and they push the questioning a little further (quota reasons or whatever...goodness knows how the great GUZ works on this!)

Yeah, we're both working on the "try not to stress part"...poor John had trouble sleeping the night after we reviewed interview questions! :P

Amerchin:

Glad to hear that your laopo had no problems with the folders. Looks like we'll be OK.

Bubbafred:

Good suggestion on re-reading the documents beforehand -- thanks!