Help with Acronyms

see this:

List of Acronyms (LOA)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2158

CSC - California Service Center

NSC, TSC, VSC - Nebrask, Texas, Vermont

DCF - direct consular filing (if you live in china, are married and want to file with a consulate there)

NVC - National Visa Center

AOS - Adjustment of Status (sometimes used with Affidavit of Support)

EAD - Employment Authorization Document (?)

DOS - Dept of State

CR1 - Conditional Residency visa.. ie: Marriage visa, as opposed to K3 marriage visa

P1, P2, P3 .. Packet 1, etc. Documents received back during process.. Only P3 and P4 are really used by the govt anymore.. the others, though phased out, still persist.

see this:

List of Acronyms (LOA)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2158

CSC - California Service Center

NSC, TSC, VSC - Nebrask, Texas, Vermont

DCF - direct consular filing (if you live in china, are married and want to file with a consulate there)

NVC - National Visa Center

AOS - Adjustment of Status (sometimes used with Affidavit of Support)

EAD - Employment Authorization Document (?)

DOS - Dept of State

CR1 - Conditional Residency visa.. ie: Marriage visa, as opposed to K3 marriage visa

P1, P2, P3 .. Packet 1, etc. Documents received back during process.. Only P3 and P4 are really used by the govt anymore.. the others, though phased out, still persist.

147629[/snapback]

Thanks David!

I've read your comments on many postings, during my brief time here. Do you live in China? You seem very knowledgable on Chinese culture. I enjoyed your comments on truth and lies, was really food for thought for me. It really enlightened me on my SO's way of thinking.

P1, P2, P3 .. Packet 1, etc.   Documents received back during process.. Only P3 and P4 are really used by the govt anymore.. the others, though phased out, still persist.

147629[/snapback]

OHhhhh, David.....you made my day. :P

It is so rare to find you making a little error I just can't pass on this opportunity. The packet system (P-1 ~ P-4) was officially discontinued a while back although the terms are still used in the immigration community and acknowledged by DOS. I ran across this little blurb when searching 9 FAM a few years ago and had to go searching for it. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth.

9 FAM 42.63 PN1.2

<excerpt>

b. The standardized mailings formerly known as Packets 1, 2 and 2a are no longer utilized. Inquiries concerning general immigration to the United States, or specific family or employment-based immigration programs, should be answered using the appropriate information sheets. There is no need to retain any record of either incoming correspondence or the response in post correspondence files.

c. Three standardized instruction packages are now used in immigrant visa processing. They are discussed in more detail below and are known as:

(1) The Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants (formerly Packet 3);

(2) The Appointment Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants (formerly Packet 4); and,

(3) The Follow-Up Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants (formerly Packet 4a??this is the package which initiates the termination process).

147737[/snapback]

details, details, details... you think I'm writing an FAQ for the response... ;)

I only suggest P3 and P4 are still used because the P3 letter says.. uh.. Packet 3 ; the P4 letter says.. uh.. Packet 4. :lol: :P

I'd hate to throw 9FAM in their face and argue the point.. seems a wise and knowledgeable member <_< once told me to not 'piss in the wind' with 9FAM in hand... :P

I'm pulling my pants up now... I think I got 9FAM all wet...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)
So, what are they now?

P3=IPIVA  (Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants)

P4=APIVA (Appointment Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants)

147739[/snapback]

Whatever you want to call them, I'll stick with the P series.

The other widely used term that is not official is DCF. I'll keep using that too.

147741[/snapback]

001 girls still talks about P1.5 P2.5 P3.5 etc... try to change that? :lol: