Tips for interview

This came out of two recent conversations I had with members…as well as continued reflection on the interview� I know that afterwards, we will all say (in a joyous 'high'), it was a breeze.. until then.. other emotions tend to be in control...

---

1) Be organized with your items so the BENEFICIARY can easily retrieve items.

2) BENEFICIARY should dress more than casual.. like a business casual.. but no need to look formal.

3) BENEFICIARY should be confident and smile. Look VO in eyes (or forehead, or nose if eye contact makes them feel awkward).

4) Have the BENEFICIARY be first to say hello ni hao? etc.. Getting the first words out of the mouth is an icebreaker for the emotions. Might help to settle some nervousness.

5) The VO could ask, to verify if the BENEFICIARY wants to speak in Chinese or English. She should stick with what makes one most comfortable and capable of answering questions with little hesitation. If BENEFICIARY tries to talk in English, knows the answer but cannot articulate it in English, they should answer in Chinese to show that they have an answer. (At this point, the VO will know what grasp of English the BENEFICIARY probably has. This could register a communication?question in VOs head).

6) The VO will ask for the beneficiary's passport. If you have the petitioner passport or copy, give it at same time. If the petitioner is of Chinese lineage and/or can speak Chinese/Japanese and this is the way you two communicate, I would state: here is my fiancee XYZ passport as well. He is fluent/we communicate in Chinese/Japanese language? (if you feel it is necessary to convey this information and don't know where else you will possibly do so).

7) Have one email log visible on the counter or on your lap showing communication.. particularly if you want to show communication in chinese or other language.

8) Have one picture visible if you want to convey anything specific that picture shows. I recall one BENEFICIARY had a picture of them in a majority groups dress, and the VO smiled at seeing it.

9) When asked , how you meet? stick to basic facts, giving only as much as needed to satisfy that type of question: online" (or add which site if desired. Some VOs have followed up with asking this). If the VO wants more info, they will ask for it.

10) When asked how many visits?. if you only have one visit?Consider if you think it is a good idea to try to give in a single answer one visit?and a quick, truthful reason (ie: he just got new job and doesn't have vacation time?etc). I recall one K3 who got questions as to why only one?and still got the denial.

11) If asked for financials.. consider to give them all of it, with the item asked for on top. That way they cannot suggest you did not give them enough or the correct document.

12) If BENEFICIARY does not understand question, don't guess. Just ask VO to repeat the question.

13) Whatever the VO asks about, answer. Don't withhold a little personal info if that is what they want. Some have been questioned : What do you like/love about him/her ??

14) Prepare your BENEFICIARY to know which town/state you will marry in. (have seen this asked enough that K1s should prepare for it).

15) If any previous marriages, expect more questions?

16) If you get the denial, get what they want and submit it as overcome evidence? Remember, it is rare to NOT ultimately get the visa. Be strong and supportive. Stick through it and you will get the visa!

17) Try to get some rest the night before (aka. mission impossible ?)

:blink:

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

I went to the US Citizen Services Hour during one of my visit to China, and there the visa officer giving the presentation made a good comment for how to think of the interview.

She said to think of the interview as a chance for us to present to them what is special or unique about our relationship.

Granted that might be difficult for our SO to do, given that they will feel a kind of pressure that we will never know, but it also may help to make their task a little easier.

In the end, the Visa Office has a very simple job (though it may be difficult for them to do easily or well) The way I see it, the VO has 3 things he needs to do for each visa applicant (their may be more) so anything we can do to help make their job easier will be better for us in the end.

The three things that I see are:

- They need to verify that all the papers are completed for the visa to be to be processed. This is just a matter of paper work and checking all the details. We can help by making sure everything is completed (to the best of our ability)

- They need to verify that the Financial requirements are met. This is done by checking for income, assets etc of the petitioner. We can help by making sure these are clearly shown with Bank Letter, Tax forms etc.

- And finally they need to verify that the relationship is real and personal. We can help by showing them what is unique about our relationship, what is personal about it.

Though we hope we will never see the Visa Officer again, for the brief time of the interview, we can "pretend" that they are like part of our family, and we (or SO) can try to explain to them or show them what is unique and speical about our relationship.

for us, we have the usual photos and emails. But we also have poems that i have written for my fiancee, we have a notebook that we have written our thoughts during our 3 visits together, and we have also recorded a video where we were talking about our 3 visits together.

so hopefully with these, the visa officer will see the personal characterists of our relationship and feel comfortable approving our visa.

At least that is how we are going into the interview, hopefully the outcome will be what we hope for.

- And finally they need to verify that the relationship is real and personal. We can help by showing them what is unique about our relationship, what is personal about it.

Though we hope we will never see the Visa Officer again, for the brief time of the interview, we can "pretend" that they are like part of our family, and we (or SO) can try to explain to them or show them what is unique and speical about our relationship.

147307[/snapback]

That's truely a great observation and well stated. That has been kinda rattling around in my head for a long time, but never got put to words. We all know we need to prove a real relationship exists, but showing them what is unique about ours puts a whole different spin on it.

David, that would be good verbiage for the FAQ. :D

147392[/snapback]

He's just jealous since his SO got in the FAQ twice last week... :P

I think I'm going to include his three points.. since they hit the essence of eligibility: Documents are complete , financials meet guideline, relationship is bona-fide... I'll bold the sections you mention.

---

I thought about this prior to submitting.. and while maybe unusual, in my original I-129F submission, my "Intent to marry" tried to convey 'our love story' and what drew up together... and I even mention poems we wrote to one another. (I have to remember to bring those just in case they dare ask her :) ).

I think wulongtea gave a great lesson here... in the continual recording and documenting like a journal... I think this does build a case for a unique relationship..

Guest ShaQuaNew
He's just jealous since his SO got in the FAQ twice last week... :D

I think I'm going to include his three points.. since they hit the essence of eligibility:  Documents are complete , financials meet guideline, relationship is bona-fide... I'll bold the sections you mention.

---

I thought about this prior to submitting.. and while maybe unusual,  in my original I-129F submission,  my "Intent to marry" tried to convey 'our love story' and what drew up together... and I even mention poems we wrote to one another. (I have to remember to bring those just in case they dare ask her  :) ).

I think wulongtea gave a great lesson here... in the continual recording and documenting like a journal...  I think this does build a case for a unique relationship..

147397[/snapback]

Yep....good thought about keeping a logbook or journal of all official communications. I shall get on that very soon as I have several file folders now sitting in a corner waiting for me to go thru them and organize. Having things at the ready shows competence and it seems that we will never know ahead of time exactly what they will or will not ask for.....

Guest ShaQuaNew
:(  I'll be sure to bring a 'pink/purple' slip for her... reinforce good karma.  :D

147405[/snapback]

...ahhh, David appears ready for this interview....but claims he doesn't organize his fridge or closet......

...do you straighten the fringe on your throw rugs?

...count the number of steps to your car?

...go back to the house after leaving just to check that everything is the way it's supposed to be?

Did I make it into the FAQ! :(

One other comment I forgot to mention, but since David also mentioned poems ... my fiancee also translated most of my poems into Chinese. So we printed both version out together. In case the VO has any questions of her ability to understand Chinese, she can show not only the video of us talking together, but also her translations of my poems.

I figured that is like a double hit ... moved by the love poem and also shows a good understanding of english in the process!

I've thought ... wouldn't it be great to move the VO to tears by a passionate love story!

They'll be begging for us to be togther and have a happy married life together!

In the end, that's what we wanted all along! :D

jesse.. you don't know any gemini's do you? then you would know that multiple (parallel processing) personalities exist... I am definitely not an organized person, but you got me in a rare moment of feeling the impending GUZ...

wulong tea, yes.. you made the FAQ... and whatever it is you are riding and the high it is giving you.. would you pass some this way ! :rolleyes:

wulong tea, yes.. you made the FAQ... and whatever it is you are riding and the high it is giving you.. would you pass some this way ! :lol:

147495[/snapback]

gave up the wulong tea for now ... :huh:

now just chamomile tea ... try to calm down ... but no luck :blink:

this week got my visa, everything notarized ... :rolleyes:

just get me on the plane before i bounce off the walls! :ph34r: