How to get married in China?

I posted this in chinese version too, but it seems a pity that not many people go read that and give replies. So I posted the same topic here , hoping to get help from your guys.

What confused me is when I called the civil right office in my province about what two parties need if they want to get married in China. The person working there, told me : The American partner will need a current passport, and Certificate of Marriageability. The Chinese partner must submit their family registration book, and Identification.

But one of my friends sent me a website, according to it, it will be much more complicated. Here is what it says:The American partner to a marriage in China will generally be asked to submit a current passport, Chinese residence Permit, and Certificate of Marriageability. The Chinese partner must submit their family registration book, birth certificate, and Certificate of Marriageability.

I am at a loss now, I dont know which I should believe. Who can tell me?

lg

I went through this last year. You need an affidavit of single status. The wording is on the Chinese consulate's website. It needs to be sworn before a notary. The notary and all documents issued by the state (those with a raised seal) then need to be certified by your state's Secretary of State in an Apostitille. You need to send all this to the Chinese consulate in your area for their certification. Take all this with you to China. There you will need this packet, your passport and another picture ID (I used my Texas Drivers liscense). Got married with no trouble.

I did have a bit of a SNAFU when I first sent in my packet. I was married and divorced in Oregon before I moved to Texas. The Chinese Consulate in Houston world not accept my Oregon divorce decree (they can only certify documents issued in the states in their area or responsibility). I called the consulate in Houston, talked to a nice lady who said that since I was now living in Texas, and as far as Texas was concerned I was single, just say I was never married and never married in the affidavit. I did just that and got the certificate with no trouble whatsoever.

I hope this helps

Edited by Carl (see edit history)

We were married in October 2003, right after China changed the Law making it easier to get married. The only thing they asked of me was my U.S. passport and Certificate of Marriagability, apostitlled by the Secretary of State and authenticated by the Chinese Consulate in SanFrancisco. My wife had her Family Registration Book and ID. Took all of twenty minutes and we were given our little red books.

I brought with me Birth Certificate, Divorce Certificates, Proof of ex-wives nationality and letter from my employer, all apostitilled and authenticated, none of which was needed.

This is what I was told by the civil affair office in my province,a passport and marriagability for man, and family registration book and I D for the woman. But I dont know why it was so complicated for you, Carl?

139002[/snapback]

The complication was in getting the marriagibility certificate. However that complication went away when I just stated I was single and never married in Texas.

It seems much easier than getting married in usa,right? Because marrying in usa, the woman needs to get notaried for her paper work .

139004[/snapback]

Requirerments for getting Married in the U.S. vary from State to State. Some States you need to get a blood test. Here in Washington it is very easy just show ID and give them money B)

I heard people said the woman need to notary their birth certificate if they want to get married in usa.

139121[/snapback]

More than anything it needs to be translated and the notary seems to go with and confirm the translation also.