DCF'ed in November, still waiting for P4

Great site here... I'll add my yet-to-be-completed story with a few questions:

I filed for a CR-1 visa for my lovely wife at the Kerry Mall in Beijing last November (we met, married and lived together in Wuhan). We got our approval letter and the P3 fairly soon after in late December. Unfortunately we didn't return the P3 to Guangzhou until Mar 28th, as I left China in late January, and we waited until I got a new job in the states (in retrospect I would've done things so differently!).

Nevertheless, we weren't expecting such a long wait for the appointment letter based on the experience of some other couples we knew. From what I've read on this site, though, 3 to 3 1/2 months is generally the usual time from P3 to P4.

It'll have been three months this coming Monday. What I'm wondering is, should I go ahead and start making phone calls and sending letters and what not? I've already emailed the embassy and got the standard response ("Interview date? Not a clue.") I'm planning on calling them tomorrow night and expect much the same response. (Would've called tonight, but I don't have internet access at home, and when I tried to order the PIN number today at work, I discovered you have to have your passport number.)

But what about Congressmen and women, DOS and USCIS people, or anyone else? My wife and I have been apart now for 5 months, and we miss each other terribly, so I obviously want to do anything that might speed up the process. But I'm just not sure they will take me seriously if this is within the "normal" wait time.

Any recommendations, or just sit and wait & wait & wait a little bit more? Plan a trip to China to contact GUZ in person (and see my wife, of course!)?

Welcome to CFL.

Historically in the past 12 months, no person who is DCF, that has gotten their interview or P4 before others in the K1/K3/CR1/IR1 class for the same return month, once their P3 has been returned to Guangzhou.

Normally we would count you into the group of P3 dates for when you received it. However you waited a longer than average time to return it, so your wait time probably did not start until it was returned to Guangzhou. We would now place you into the March P3 group. Currently they are only assigning interviews to the February P3 group. No March P3 has received a P4 or Interview date.

I would say it is not time to worry yet. Monitor CFL, and the Interview/P4 list posted by Timeline each week for the current status.

Current list is here:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....c0c9990b02d1b86

You can find out when your P3 was entered into the computer by calling DOS and asking them (1-202-663-1225 press 1, then 0, then 0, have your GUZ number and Wife's name/birthdate and other information available). You can also ask them the status of your name check. Until the name check is complete, you won't get the Interview.

Running average time for Interview is around 150 days from P3 letter date. However, you have returned it later, so at least 150 days from the computer entry date is probably the best reasonable guess today. If it was entered March 28th, expect an interview no sooner than August/September. Also expect the unexpected. The Consulate is moving, to make things faster and better. Does this mean you could expect it sooner, or later? Only the Guz knows.

But right now, all you can do is monitor the situation, because there is no indication that you are not in within the expected wait times.

If everyone who has a P3 date of March has gotten their P4's and it is well into April P3's, that is the time I would say to worry, unless you have indications that you are stuck in a name check, or lost paperwork. Based on your information, everything sounds normal, sad to say.

Hey,chinashawn. It's amazing that we filed for the visa in Keery Mall in Nov, and my husband also left China in this Jan. And you know what, My husband had lived in Wuhan for almost 2 years and I am still living in there.

We returned the p3 in Jan 2nd this year and I just got my visa. Since you didn't return your p3 until March and GZ consulate is moving, your timeline is normal. Just relax and be patient. It will come when it comes.

My timeline is down there. Good luck to you and nice to know a wuhan DCFer :P

Dan and Lizzie

Well, I finally called the DOS yesterday, and they said my wife's P3 was entered into the computer on March 28, and the name check was completed on April 1. Hope I'm reading that prediction chart right and that she'll get her appointment letter July 15-18ish. Any word from anyone on delays due to the move?

The early March P3s are getting their interview dates now by calling DOS and are getting interviews for Aug.. so their appointment letters are in the mail to them...

You are an end of month March for an entered date, so that probably puts in as a mid-March in comparison. SO you should be very close at this point...

That projection still seems reasonable... first two weeks of july hopefully.

In another thread, someone mentioned talking to someone from DOS, and they said maybe down for two days (?)... The delay is probably not a big impact, since they'll start with additional windows it could pick up quickly thereafter.. Just wait and see...

If you two have not collected all the forms necessary from beneficiary and petitioner, then now's the time ! Best to you two ! :D

That's great news. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I could kick myself for not getting the P3 in earlier, especially after reading Lizzie's post (enjoy re4 gan1 mian4 while you can! Haven't found any here). Oh well, live and learn...

Does anyone have any idea how long documents are valid? (ie., police record, whatever's on the P3 checklist.) Some of these she got in late January, and they'll be older than 6 months by August. I may have her get new ones anyway, just to be safe.

Q.2.7 I have read that the following apply for the valid length of time for documents, is this correct?

UNLIMITED: Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates.

ONE YEAR: Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates.

A.2.7.1

The single cert, police cert, I-134, intent to marry should not be older than 6 months since it was issued. GZ likes 'em fresh. To be safe, you might want to wait do them within two months of the interview…

Well, I'll tell my wife to get everything updated. Some people who submitted their P3's about the same time as she did are getting their P4 letters... making me anxious. Any difference between the I-864 and the I-134? And I suppose the single certificate is only for fiance visas...

Well, I'll tell my wife to get everything updated.  Some people who submitted their P3's about the same time as she did are getting their P4 letters... making me anxious.  Any difference between the I-864 and the I-134?  And I suppose the single certificate is only for fiance visas...

I-134 = GUZ interview for K1 & K3

I-864 = GUZ interview for CR1 / K1 & K3 for AOS interview in US

The 'single certificate' is misnomer term, but we understand it... the proper term is to provide a 'notarial martial status' certificate;

One of these:

if single - a cert showing single status

if married - marriage cert

If applicable:

if divorced on either side - additionally need 'final' decree

if children of SO - additionallyl need proof of FULL custody

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, David, for all your helpful responses. In addition to the wealth of information, this forum has provided much-needed alleviation for the general worry and anxiety that people in our boat feel.

Now's here another question for everyone:

At that whenever in the future when my wife has her interview, would it be helpful for me to join her in Guangzhou? I know I can't go in with her, but would it help if I were there so she could bring in my passport, plane ticket, etc?

I would love to go, believe me, but considering that I can only get so much time off of work, I'd rather use that for when my wife's here so I can show her around, and we can go out and celebrate her arrival (using the $800+ that I would otherwise have to use for my plane ticket).

So I think I'd only go if it would make a difference to the one with the power to stamp the passport. What do you guys think?