deciding whether to get US citizenship for wife

My wife and I are thinking of starting a business (private school) back in china in the coming year to 18 months. She is eligible for US Citizenship, but we pondering whether or not to do it.

questions are:

1. are there any easy ways for her to get a Chinese visa as an "overseas chinese"?

2. Differing taxes while within China?

Anyone gone along a similar path?

1. The same way you get a visa to China, apply for it through a Chinese Consulate like any other US Citizen if she becomes a citizen.

2. US citizens report their income, however may be exempt from paying income tax to the US Government.

Note: if still a green-card holder and move to China with intent to liver there on a permanent basis, will loose green-card and you will have to file for another spousal visa if you wish o move back to the USA.

A downside of US citizenship is having to get a work permit in China if you wish to start a school there.

As for benefits of citizenship Here is a list I found:

1. A Citizen Can Vote
    A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.
  2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)
    Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.
  3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly
    Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.
  4. Citizens Cannot be Deported
    Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.
  5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits
    Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.
  6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits
    Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.
  7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities
    Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.
  8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically
    Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.
  9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits
    Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.
  10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years
    We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

http://immigration.about.com/od/whybecomea...0CitizenBen.htm
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  1. A Citizen Can Vote
    A citizen has the right to vote for elected officials at the federal, state and local levels who shape the policy of the government.
  2. Dual Citizenship (Currently N/A with China)
    Certain countries, including Ireland and the United Kingdom, recognize "dual citizenship" permitting naturalized U.S. citizens to maintain their citizenship of birth and original passport.
  3. Citizens Can Bring More Relatives From Abroad, More Quickly
    Citizens can petition for a wider variety of family members to come to the US as permanent residents. They also have much shorter waiting times for green cards, and no limits.
  4. Citizens Cannot be Deported
    Most of us never expect to commit a crime, but if we are the victims of circumstance, in the wrong place at the wrong time, as citizens, we cannot be deported. We also don't need to worry about a lost green card or too-long stay outside the US preventing us from re-entering.
  5. Citizens Can Retire Abroad With Full Social Security Benefits
    Citizens who retire abroad get all their Social Security benefits. Green card holders only get half of the benefits they earned.
  6. Citizens are Entitled to More Public Benefits
    Citizens are eligible for more public benefits, including Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Food Stamps, as well as certain academic scholarships and financial aid.
  7. A US Citizen Can Hold Office and Have More Job Opportunities
    Only a citizen has the right to hold an elected position in most city, state or federal offices. Many federal, state and city jobs also require citizenship.
  8. Adopted or Natural Children Under 18 May be Naturalized Automatically
    Depending on the circumstances, children born abroad, who are under 18 years of age and unmarried may be able to naturalize automatically when a parent does so.
  9. Citizens Have More Financial and Tax Benefits
    Citizens often receive approval on loans andmortgages more easily, and/or they get better rates, because the lender knows there is less chance they will defect. Citizens are often subject to fewer restrictions on estate taxes as well.
  10. Citizens Don't Have to Worry About Renewing a Green Card Every 10 Years
    We have enough to worry about with passports and other paperwork. As citizens, we don't have to worry about renewing a green cards every ten years.

Apologies for opening up an old thread but this answers half the questions of an ongoing discussion I am having with my wife about her eventually becoming a US citizen.

The other side of this discussion is what advantages are there to remaining just a LPR. The one answer seems to be it is easier to own property in China. I have also seen some threads that it would make me elgible for a family based visa in China.

I would be interested in any other reasons people have chosen to not pursue USC?

This is a question I have asked myself a few times and my conclusion, at this point, is that I would like to see my wife keep her Chinese citizenship.

I would hate to see her lose her Chinese citizenship because it would be burning the ease of our Chinese connection should we want to live there in the future. And she owns her own home there which we plan to maybe retire to.

She can always get US citizenship later in her life if that is th eway it works out for us, but I can't see burning a bridge with China.

Travel? Heck, I'll just send in her passport for a visa if we want to go to Australia or New Zealand. I'm not interested in any other countries and I would like her to accompany me to the beauty and magic of down under as we visit my friends.

I'm not down on America, just don't see any benefits great enough that out weigh burning a bridge to China.

tsap seui

This is a question I have asked myself a few times and my conclusion, at this point, is that I would like to see my wife keep her Chinese citizenship.

I would hate to see her lose her Chinese citizenship because it would be burning the ease of our Chinese connection should we want to live there in the future. And she owns her own home there which we plan to maybe retire to.

She can always get US citizenship later in her life if that is th eway it works out for us, but I can't see burning a bridge with China.

Travel? Heck, I'll just send in her passport for a visa if we want to go to Australia or New Zealand. I'm not interested in any other countries and I would like her to accompany me to the beauty and magic of down under as we visit my friends.

I'm not down on America, just don't see any benefits great enough that out weigh burning a bridge to China.

tsap seui

I agree with all your logic, but something that DOES concern me is the halving of her share of social security.

I expect her to live longer than me, and when I am gone I want my wife to receive as much of my social security as possible.

Has anyone looked into the SS ramifications fully, and posted anywhere?

tsap seui

I agree with all your logic, but something that DOES concern me is the halving of her share of social security.

I expect her to live longer than me, and when I am gone I want my wife to receive as much of my social security as possible.

Has anyone looked into the SS ramifications fully, and posted anywhere?

I don't know the SS rules but I do know that at anytime you decide or get to old to travel that she can always take the test and get US citizenship. That's just my take on it, while we're still young I'd hate to lose the China options but as I age out I can see her getting US citizenship. Her parents will be gone, our son will be on his own in the world and I will do what it takes to set her up for her old age without me.

We owe that to these lovely wives.

tsap seui

I would generally see what is her motive; her desire; her want. It is easy later in life to do something more.

Right now, she says she wants to keep her Chinese citizenship. And I 100% agree that it is her choice and I have told her that.

Many of my co-workers here are Chinese-born who became American citizens. Most of them went to the US for Grad School, stayed in the US and are only now here, like me, for a couple year assignment. They all saw the advantage to US citizenship. There is a part of me that thinks my wife will come to a similiar conclusion but it will be her choice to make.