DCF filers in Guangzhou-need wife's original passport?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I'm seeing conflicting information so I want to be sure.

For anyone who filed DCF directly in Guangzhou, did you need to present the original of your wife's (Chinese citizen's) passport, or just a copy?

Some sites, such as www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/uscis/I130.html list a required document as "Beneficiary's Chinese passport" (in fact they list it twice!), while other sites mention bringing just a copy of the biographic page of the passport (but then in another line say something about bringing originals and copies together). So overall I'm totally confused; anyone done it before?

Thanks.

First where are you living?

You only need a copy of her biographic page for submittal of the I-130. However it is not a bad idea to just bring the original passport with you in case they ask to see it. I doubt they will.

You need to bring originals of her birth certificate, your marriage certificate, etc.

Edited by whome? (see edit history)

Yes, bring her original passport - I'd also make copies of it to make available to the VO if they want to keep it and put it in her file (for auditing purposes).

My wife just received her second passport because the first one was about to expire. If your wife is in the same boat, be sure to bring her expired passport as well

The OF-169 states that you need to bring her current (and expired if applicable)

http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/up..._169-May.09.pdf

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Yes, bring her original passport - I'd also make copies of it to make available to the VO if they want to keep it and put it in her file (for auditing purposes).

My wife just received her second passport because the first one was about to expire. If your wife is in the same boat, be sure to bring her expired passport as well

The OF-169 states that you need to bring her current (and expired if applicable)

Maybe I am wrong but I thought he was filing the I-130 not going for an interview.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought he was filing the I-130 not going for an interview.

Opps, you're right. Regardless, when we filed our I-130 in Beijing, they still wanted to see my wife's passport and yes, they also wanted copies of it (biographic page) . We heard conflicting stories as well. Thankfully we were able to provide it.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, just filing the I-130 at this time. However my wife is now staying far away in Wuxi (near Shanghai), so if I need to show her passport I would need to bring it with me to Guangzhou and then mail it back to her after, since I will be returning to the US after filing the I-130. So it's MUCH easier for me if they don't need to see the original passport and will just accept copies for now (of course she will bring the original when she comes to GZ for the interview).

It sounds like sometimes they need it and sometimes they don't... :rolleyes:

It sounds like sometimes they need it and sometimes they don't..

For Jingjing and I, they required to first see all original documents before accepting any copy. This included our passports as well as all of our documents listed below

Also, please note that we filed in Beijing, and not Guangzhou. What I understand is they require the G325A from both you and your wife, Form I-130, USC copy of current resident permit/passport, two visa (one of you and your wife) photos (2in x 2in) notarized/translated marriage certs, and original (red book) marriage certs, copy of your wife's passport, and proof of termination of previous marriage (if applicable). See the link below.

That being said, they also accepted a ton of documents in addition as supporting documents (we had to show the originals for the following documents as well, before they were willing to accept them). This is a complete list of everything we submitted with our I-130 (docs listed above as well as supporting docs):

1. I-130 Petition (2 Pages)

2. G-325A – Me (1 Page)

3. G-325A – Jingjing (1 Page)

4. Copy of notarized birth certificate and SSN Card – Me (1 Page)

5. Copy - Brother’s Letter – Handwritten (2 Pages)

6. Copy - My dad’s Letter – Typed - with my father's current DL(1 Page)

7. Copy - My dad’s Letter – Handwritten (2 Pages)

8. Copy - Jingjing’s Passport cover and signature pages (1 Page)

9. Copy - My passport signature page (1 Page)

10. Copy - My current residence permit/visa (1 Page)

11. Copy - Our wedding certificate in Chinese (Red book for Jingjing and red book for me) (2 Pages)

12. One notarized and translated copy of Jingjing’s birth certificate - white book.

13. One notarized and translated copy of our wedding certificate - white book.

14. Visa photo (2in x 2in - white background) of myself and Jingjing - I picture a piece.

15. Pictures taken from 2004-2008 (around 50 pictures pasted to A4 paper with captions - one sided)

Here is the attached document they sent to me when we made our appointment with DHS-Beijing, to submit our I-130 (because in Beijing the do not allow walk-ins). Note, if you're in China now, Google docs is blocked (at least where I'm at. You'll have to use a proxy to view. If you can't do that, then pm your email address and I'll send it to you as an attachment). I would suggest reviewing it as I may have accidentally transposed the information incorrectly, or left something out.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Adfw7vvS...uZ2Ni&hl=en

Although the above document was last revised in 2007, this is an identical copy of what they sent Jingjing and I after confirming our appointment (08-2009)

The information concerning the G325A is incorrect. They only wanted one copy because the form we used was the most recent revision.

Sorry if this TMI,but I hope it helps nonetheless.

We've heard of reports of consulate officers not accepting pictures, letters, etc. Perhaps it depends on the officer's mood at the time.

They never asked for my wife's passport and it's a good thing because we didn't bring it. I don't think it's a requirement for DCF since it's only in P3 that they require a passport. Of course, YMMV. I went to the Shanghai Consulate and mailed to Beijing.

Concerning the passport: since it is explicitly requested #10 (again, refer to the link - and yes, I know it says copy - but again, she wanted to see the original before accepting the copy) I would bring it. If they don't want to see the original, then they won't - it's their decision. One thing I would suggest is making a cover sheet of everything your submitting and submit that as well. The officer who waited on us seemed to appreciate it.

Correct, when filing I-130 the I-130 does NOT require foreign passport, only when interviewing for the visa will a passport be required and the passport then needs to be valid at least 6 months or longer.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, just filing the I-130 at this time. However my wife is now staying far away in Wuxi (near Shanghai), so if I need to show her passport I would need to bring it with me to Guangzhou and then mail it back to her after, since I will be returning to the US after filing the I-130. So it's MUCH easier for me if they don't need to see the original passport and will just accept copies for now (of course she will bring the original when she comes to GZ for the interview).

It sounds like sometimes they need it and sometimes they don't... :)

Do you live in China? If so where?

when filing I-130 the I-130 does NOT require foreign passport

Are you sure about this? It was required for us when we submitted our I-130 in BJ (note #10).

1. Please note the following items on Form I-130 (the following items must be completed).

* Part B and C Name of the beneficiary must be consistent to the one in the passport. Any other names used should appear in item 7 of Part C (Other Names Used, including maiden name)

* Item 11 of both Part B and Part C (Names of Prior husbands/wives) must be completed. If not applicable in this case, please write “none”.

* Item 18 of Part C (Address in the United States where your relative intends to live) must be completed.

* In item 20 of Part C (If your relative’s alphabet is other than Roman letters, write his or her name and foreign address in the native alphabet), please write in Chinese characters the beneficiary’s name and address, including ZIP code.

* Part D. You must answer questions 1 and 2. Do not use “N/A”

* Part E. Must be signed by the Petitioner (U.S. Citizen)

2. Filing fee (Currently $355.00). If you make the payment at the ACS section of a US Consulate General and mail the petition to us, please enclose a copy of the fee payment receipt.

3. Copy of the petitioner’s valid U.S. passport (copies of both the biographic page and current visa must be provided).

4. Copy of the petitioner’s valid Chinese visa (“Z” or “X”), and/or the Foreigner Residence Permit

5. Notarial Translation of the Marriage Certificate (if married in China), or certified copy of the Marriage Certificate (if married in the U.S.), or authenticated copy of the Marriage Certificate (if married in other country/area). If the marriage certificate was issued in other country/area and is in foreign language, an official English translation must be attached.

6. Proof of legal termination of all previous marriages (i.e. divorce decree and/or death certificate), if applicable. The document(s) should be a). notarial translation (if issued in China); or B. certified copy (if issued in the U.S.); or c). authenticated copy with official English translation (if issued in other country/area and in a foreign language)

7. Please also provide a copy of the marriage certificate and a copy of all Divorce Certificates (if applicable). The original documents must be presented while filing the petition in person at the USCIS Beijing office.

8. Form G-325A for both the petitioner and the beneficiary (4 copies for each, must be completed and signed)

Regarding the item “Applicant’s employment last five years. (If none, so state) list present employment first”:

* Employment also includes studies. If the applicant (either the petitioner or the beneficiary) is/was a student during a certain period in the last five years, please list the name and address of the school, and specify the occupation as “student”.

* If the applicant is/was during a certain period in the last five years staying at home as a homemaker, please list it and specify the occupation as “homemaker”.

* The time frame for each entry on the G-325A form should be continuous.

9. Personal photo for the petitioner and the beneficiary (1 for each, US passport photo).

10. Copy of the beneficiary’s valid passport (the biographic page).

As I mentioned, the lady collecting our application required to see the original before accepting the copy

Beneficiary's passport is required to file at Guangzhou. http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/uscis/I130.html

Also, make sure you are filing at the correct consulate in your district.

Please note that you need to be a permanent resident in South China (Guangdong, Guangxi, Fujian or Hainan province) in order to file at our office. That is to say that you need to have a Permanent Resident Booklet issued by the Chinese Public Security Bureau Exit Entry Administration and an Employment Certificate and already residing in China for at least six months .

You'll be filing with USCIS

Service Area:

The Beijing Field Office has jurisdiction over 18 provinces in China, four autonomous regions, four municipalities under State Council and the country of Mongolia. The 18 northern provinces are: Anhui, Gansu, Guizhou, Heilongjiang, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Jiangxi, Jilin, Liaoning, Qinghai, Shaanxi, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Yunan, and Zhejiang. The four autonomous regions are: Nei Mongol, Ningxia, Xinjiang, and Xizang (Tibet). The four municipalities under State Council are: Beijing, Chongqing, Shanghai, and Tianjin.

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/beijing/consulate-map.html

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

You know, it just hit me. Why don't you just email them and ask them before you go? Duh! I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this earlier. You can find their contact information by following the below links. I did find the following information. Please refer to the links for more information.

Guangzhou

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...r.statecode=abk

To file Form I-130 with USCIS Guangzhou:

U.S. citizens, who legally reside locally, can file an Immediate Relative Immigrant Petition (Form I-130) by coming to the office during public service window hours only. We do not accept applications by mail.

1. Make sure that all pertinent information on the I-130 is completed and signed by the Petitioner

2. Submit originals of the following:

1. Registered marriage certificate for both petitioner and beneficiary

2. Proof of U.S. citizenship of petitioner

3. Proof of termination of any prior marriages(s) for both petitioner and beneficiary

4. Photographs: one passport size photo, attached with completed and signed Form G-325 (Biographic Information) for both petitioner and beneficiary

5. Birth certificate of beneficiary. (If the original is not available, you must obtain a certification letter, on formal letterhead, from your local public Security Bureau reporting the beneficiary's name, both parents names, date of birth and place of registration of birth)

6. Copies of the biographic page of valid passports for both petitioner and beneficiary

7. Note: The petitioner is required to bring copies and originals when filing. Originals will be returned to the petitioner after certifications of the copies are completed

8. All documents not in the English language must be accompanied by certified translations

3. After the petition has been approved, it will be sent to the Immigrant Visa Unit. You will need to contact the Immigrant Visa Unit for further questions on scheduling appointments, issuance of visas, etc.

Beijing

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...r.statecode=abk

Immediate Relative Immigrant Petitions (Form I-130):

U.S. Citizens with proof of residency in China may file an Immediate Relative Petition (Form I-130) by making an appointment to come in to the office during Window hours.

U.S. Citizens with proof of residency in China, residing outside of the Beijing or Guangzhou Consular Districts, may file at the American Consulates General in Shenyang, Shanghai, or Chengdu. The Beijing Office may contact petitioners and /or applicants to request personal appearances for an interview or to request additional documentation.

Please note that in China, immigrant visas are only issued at the American Consulate General in Guangzhou. Therefore, unless otherwise requested, all approved immediate relative petitions are forwarded to Guangzhou for further processing.