Visa overstay

I've known of this for some time now. My attorney said not to worry about it. but I'm going to solicit opinions here.

My SO went to school in S.F... she went back to china... in nov 2003 she came back to US on a B1 visa. She submitted a request to stay longer to attend a professional event in Hawaii(Jan,2004)... anyway, by the time she received(Feb, 2004) an answer, the Jan event had passed, so she was denied the extension on the basis, the event had already passed. She then left the country within 3 or 4 days.

My question is, should we expect problems because of this overstay? I read about an overstay somewhere on the internet and it made me concerned all of a sudden.

Perhaps someone has some personal experience with this. I deal daily with the government and from my experience they would say she did the correct thing since a request was in process and she acted quickly upon being given the decision.

I would include a statement with any supporting info she has to document (visa, denial letter). Keep it short and straight just as you explained here. It should work for you by demonstrating she plays by the rules and respects law.