Interview Requirements

I got certified copies of my income tax returns for years 2001, 2002, 2003; this year I filed my return through the internet and got a confirmation plus I printed out the return. Will this be accepted by the Consulate instead of a certified copy? Also, do they keep my SO's original birth certificate?

Mari:

Tax Returns (1040s plus all schedules etc.): Since we are going the CR-1 route, our AOS (I-864 and 3 years tax returns) was processed by the NVC. I only sent copies (not certified) of my 1040 returns (complete returns including any schedules etc., I filed using paper not electronically) For one year were I could not find a copy of my return, I called the IRS toll-free number and requested a tax transcript for the year (RTTP is the abbreviation I think). I sent this to the NVC and it was accepted. However, they did require copies of my W-2s for each year (I think this is a must). Also, I think you will need your 2004 1040 return and W-2 (most current financial information).

Birth Certificate: Not sure, what you mean by this. My wife will have an "original" copy of her "Notary Certificate of Birth" for the interview, I believe this is all that is required by the US Consulate at Guangzhou (per their website). So, we are not concerned if they keep this.

We have several "original" copies obtained from her local Government Notary Office, for different purposes. I did not know your fiancee (Chinese citizen) could obtain her "original" birth certificate.

Mark

I got certified copies of my income tax returns for years 2001, 2002, 2003; this year I filed my return through the internet and got a confirmation plus I printed out the return.  Will this be accepted by the Consulate instead of a certified copy?  Also, do they keep my SO's original birth certificate?

Mari,

K-1 and K-3's use the I-134

Yes, all you need are copies and I think all that they ask for one years worth, but I brought three when we did it.

Yes, they will keep the translated copy of your SO's Birth Certificate, it will go in the sealed packet from the medical exam.