does anyone know anything about the new chinese ID cards?My wife says that she must have the new Id card and the new chinese passport to enter the US.Her current ID card has fifteen digits and the new ones have 18.we are currently expecting to get a P-4 and if she must have the new passport,she will need to get it before the interview(She's got plenty of time).If she gets the newones,none of the numbers will match the ones on the petition and that sounds like it could be trouble.

We are in the same situation since the visa can only be put in the passport if it has at least 6 months remaining. My SO went to get a new one but they wont do it until May so we have fingers crossed that the new passport will arrive in time.

I don't expect any problem since we submitted a copy of her old passport and the need for a new one is clear.

No, she does not need both.

Her passport has the same information as the ID card imprinted into it, and under Chinese law, can be used instead of the ID card.

However, if the passport is to expire in 6 months or less, then she WILL NEED a new one to enter into the US.

In terms of when the new ID cards are being phased in, it seems a function of the Hukou. In Qingdao, you are required, when you go to renew your ID Card, to get a new one, but you do not need to suddenly get up and get a new one right now.

And as long as your passport is valid, you do not need a new ID card.

At least this is my understanding...but since I am not a lawyer versed in Chinese law, you may want to reconfirm this with someone else...

We are in the same situation since the visa can only be put in the passport if it has at least 6 months remaining. My SO went to get a new one but they wont do it until May so we have fingers crossed that the new passport will arrive in time.

I don't expect any problem since we submitted a copy of her old passport and the need for a new one is clear.

Why so long?

Did she pay the extra fee (my darling's parents applied yesterday and will have it back next week, and this is for a first passport!)?