Computer Question

My lao po has some good programs for Chinese translation to English on her Chinese based Windows XP machine.

I am wondering if these programs will install on an English based Windows XP or if I need to get the Chinese version of Windows XP for the computer I am building her.

Never had to deal with this before.

Thanks!

I've installed several Chinese apps on my computer. (XP Professional with SP2). There are a couple I bought in Nanning, some I bought from websites dealing in Chinese software. I've never had virus from these installations; but I've been careful.

I had already set mine up with Chinese fonts. I had done this for Japanese before. (This comes with Windows XP; you just have to enable them from the Control Panel.)

For a couple of programs, it's necessary to have the Windows International preferences setup with Chinese as the default for "non-unicode" programs. Otherwise, mine has English-US as the locale.

My only problem is sometimes I'm installing a non-Chinese program, that's been developed for multiple languages. The installer sometimes mistakes my machine for Chinese, and gives me Chinese installation dialogs.

I've only had one program that just won't work with my setup; Delorme StreetAtlas 2005; the multi-languages setup of my computer confuses some basic function, so that app just won't work.

Guest blsqueaky

Ling had her sister send her a new version of powerword for our puter after we tried to download a copied version. That cost me a new puter. The new one that her sister sent is just great and not a problem yet, and it has been up and running about 4 months now.

My lao po has some good programs for Chinese translation to English on her Chinese based Windows XP machine.

I am wondering if these programs will install on an English based Windows XP or if I need to get the Chinese version of Windows XP for the computer I am building her.

Never had to deal with this before.

Thanks!

And now a more direct answer to your question: Yes you can use Chinese programs on English Windows XP. To enable displaying of Chinese fonts you need to install files for East Asian languages from Control Panel, Regional & Language Options, from the Languages tab. This will enalbe the system to display Chinese only. To enable typing in Chinese you can use the builtin Microsoft Pinyin IME. Click on Text Services and Input Languages then add the language from the list.

Icebreaker