We applied for a SSN when we returned to CA. I didn't have a marriage certificate, when we applied the first time so we used her maiden name. (I wasn't paying attention during the marriage certificate interview on Kauai, it takes a long time for Hawaii to process marriage certificates. So if you need one sooner than four months, you have to make an emergency request that takes four weeks.) Anyway, getting the SSN was no hassle at all. We received it several days after we applied.

After we got the marriage certificate, I didn't want to try to change her name on the SSN until we went to our appointment for the AOS filings.

We went the day after the AOS filings to change the last name on the SSN. The SS officer said we needed to wait until Immigrations posted the change on the computer. I showed the lady Helen's Employment Authorization card, but she said she had to wait for verification on the computer from Immigration. lol, she was looking for the I-94 in the passport. I showed her the receipt, explained how the IO took the I-94 for the AOS filing, and I showed her the note he wrote on the passport page. I even tried to show her the photo copies of the I-94. No dice, have to wait for the computer verification. She gave us a letter stating that it is noted that we applied for a SSN, but verification of the documents we issued was needed prior to issuing the card. They told us to check back in four weeks if we haven't received the new card by then.

On Tuesday we went to the DMV to get a state ID. After an hour wait, we were told that they couldn't process our request because the SSN check was pending. I showed her the card with Helen's maiden name, but she said it wasn't good enough. I showed her the marriage certificate with our names and the name change on it, not good enough. All issued IDs must match a SSN check.

The one good note is that they did have chinese DMV Driver's Manuals. Helen reads and speaks english well, but felt like the Chinese manual will clear up any questions she might have.