Choosing married name?

My SO is YangZixuan. Zixuan is not easy to say... but I would never ask her to change any part of her name or to take an "american" name. I told her that Americans can just learn to say her name. She readily agreed !

As well, I told her that if we had children, I am not against their having her last name... When I was in China, I was introduced to every as "YangDaWei"... so, I even adopt her name when in china !

What's in a name anyway... I just want to spend my life with her.. she can keep the name thing as is..

I think this is one of those "western" things.. I prefer to try and drop most many western ways that get in the way of understanding her eastern ways. I'm also learning Chinese... This is clearly the most difficult part of the relationship for me !!

Guest dcwfn

My wife changed her last name to; "Fields". However, it is now actually a hyphenated version that allows her to also keep the Chinese name as well. "Zhang-Fields"

Sorry to cause a problem over such an innocent question. My question is not as much about customs as it is to LEGAL issues. My SO is free to chose the name of her choice of course. My main concern is that my wife will be applying for social security benefits some day and I do not want to have any legal issues at the time. I assume the marrige certificate would resolve any issue with the SSA but wanted to hear it from the wiser heads here. Thanks

PS: Legal questions are not permitted here?

The name at the time the claim is made does not establish the right to claim. They will have that info in the computer already. The person will simiply establish their identity as required. If it doesn't match what is in the computer based on your SSN then they will have a battle establishing it it as they will be dealing with the government. IT is not only for K visas that the government finds new ways to add stress to its citizens life.

And you thought they only provided this service for K applicants :)

I don't want to get into a peeing contest with you, but you may be a moderator at other forums, but you are not here.  

Don't exceed your authority.  If Don wants to move it he will, if he lets it stay..........LIVE WITH IT!!!!

I guess you need to live with it. I added a useful comment to a newbie, and a got a smart ass reply in return.

Then you weigh in with your comments, which were totally not needed. I was not, nor would I ever, presume any authority in this forum.

I simply advised someone on protocol, and it escalated from there.

I tried to be polite, but I guess you missed that part.

What yours major malfunction?

What about this one : first name ( chinese ) middle name ( husband surname ) lastname ( chinese ) - so it can be changed in convenience : job interview ( husband name easy to pronounce and no headache ) , chinese circles ( full blown chinese surname )

how does it sounds ?