I have done all the research I can on switching from the K-3 to the IR-1. Of course, the lady at NVC did little to help.

But, I would like to hear some personal experiences. I know how fouled-up this whole process can get. So far I have been lucky. But "Mr. Screw-up" is always just around the corner!

We filed package 3 (for the K-3) in late December. I expect (hope) to get Packet 4 and an interview date in June or July.

Our I-130 has been approved and I will be filing the I-864 tomorrow. This process is moving forward and may arrive in Guangzhou before the interview for the K-3 Visa.

Should I go for a touchdown and the extra point in Guangzhou and try for a IR-1? WILL A CHANGE IN PROCESS BE A RISK? Would we have to wait longer OR would we get our same interview date?

Would it be better to play it safe and get a K-3 approval and adjust status here in the USA?

Thanks for all your assistance in the past.

Rupert

Quite the dilemma when the I-130 overlaps the K-3.

It used to be a sure thing to go K-3 because of the long time it took for the I-130 but that isn't the case of late.

You have a few options open to you. Choosing which way is of course up to you.

1) wait for K-3 since P3 is in the que.

2) go back to GZ for IR interview after she is here on the K-3, meaning, go thru the NVC/IV motions.

3) file AOS thereby abandoning the IR process once she is here.

We chose "door #3"........but not before I have already mailed in the I-864 and receiving P3 from NVC.

Oh well, you win some; you lose some, but in all, everything has worked out just well.

-good luck

Thanks "Chinesewife"

Yes. You make some good points. It one is able to get the IR-1 it would save lots of time and worry Stateside. But I still worry that if I change from a K-3 to an IR -1 at GZ that I could "bog down" the whole process and cause delays.

I guess I am asking is, "if one changes from a K-3 to an IR-1 a month or two before the interview at GZ, will we be delayed?

Rup

Quite the dilemma when the I-130 overlaps the K-3.

It used to be a sure thing to go K-3 because of the long time it took for the I-130 but that isn't the case of late.

You have a few options open to you. Choosing which way is of course up to you.

1) wait for K-3 since P3 is in the que.

2) go back to GZ for IR interview after she is here on the K-3, meaning, go thru the NVC/IV motions.

3) file AOS thereby abandoning the IR process once she is here.

We  chose "door #3"........but not before I have already mailed in the I-864 and receiving P3 from NVC.

Oh well, you win some; you lose some, but in all, everything has worked out just well.

-good luck

Thanks Tywy99:

Reading between the lines (correct me if I am wrong) our K-3 interview date could not be switched to an IR-1 interview. It appears that if I abandon the K-3 process it will lead to a new IR-1 process that will be later.

The AOS option looks attractive provided it doesn't take too long.

Rupert

Switching the K-3 interview date to an IR interview date is highly unlikely. The two are entirely different processes. Also, your K3 process is much further along than the IR process. You have just begun on the IR process. Being this far along in the K-3 process, I would be tempted to carry thru with it. You are now only waiting for the interview date. The IR process has yet to clear NVC before going to GZ and then who knows how long you will wait for the P4 or how long NVC will have it.

Your situation is very much like mine was. But I think you have a little more leeway. Your P3 for K-3 was sent in on December. Its been 2 months now. I would think, with any luck, your P4 should be very close. I would be e-mailing GZ every day now. You could send the I-864 in to NVC and hold off awhile on the immigration feebill, once NVC sends it, hoping that P4 will come thru. Hard to say. It's like a poker game, know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em...... :lol:

But.......if it were me (and it was), I would hope and pray for the K-3, being this close.

Again, you still can "buy" some time by holding on to the immigration feebill for awhile should the k-3 goes stale. I don't think it will though.

You could also request a refund on your I-864 but I don't know how far it would go in getting a refund. I'm still waiting on mine!...lol.(seriously!)

If you do AOS I-485, you will need to file the I-864 again with CIS.

-good luck, I hope you get P4 real soon!