Non-Refundable Airfare/Consulate interview

Has anyone been burned on a non-refundable airplane ticket to bring their MM back to the US?

I'm going to build in one week after the interview just in case a blue slip is issued. Hopefully that won't happen because I'd much rather spend the time in Guilin with my in-laws rather than dealing with a blue slip.

If anyone has any good ideas on airfare for January I'd appreciate the advice as apparently many others would also, since the recent mini-flood of P4's.

Has anyone been burned on a non-refundable airplane ticket to bring their MM back to the US?

I'm going to build in one week after the interview just in case a blue slip is issued. Hopefully that won't happen because I'd much rather spend the time in Guilin with my in-laws rather than dealing with a blue slip.

If anyone has any good ideas on airfare for January I'd appreciate the advice as apparently many others would also, since the recent mini-flood of P4's.

Air China allows you to trade your flight date. They say that they charge US$50, but I got the switch for not even 1RMB extra. The only issue may be that they only have direct flights to Vancouver, SF, LA, or NYC (I think!).

Most if not all nonrefundable airfares are changeable. Fees typically apply, and a higher fare my also be due. I had to due this recently, my $800 fare became $1100.

Travelocity has pretty good search engine for low fares. You just pick the option for a range of dates. All available fares come up and you can see if that fare is available on the day you wnat to travel. The really nice part is the Rules item, which quickly gives you the bottom line on what fess will be charged if you rebook.

The possibility of higher fare or availability is the real unkown

I bought non-refundable tickets when I went to Candy's interview. Originally I had planned on being there for only a week since that is all my job would allow. However, thanks to a little layoff I ended up having a lot of time on my hands and changed my outbound flight so I could spend more time (3 weeks+) with her before the interview getting ready.

It cost me $100 to change non-refundable tickets on Delta, going Tampa->LA->GZ

I heard the fees for changing the return flight were similar.

P.J.

PS Please don't worry about me ... it actually worked out WONDERFULLY. I got laid off at the beginning of September, wife had her interview October. They were kind enough to give me a great severance package, came back and got a wonderful new job that I really enjoy.

I bought one of those fly or die no change/no refund tickets when I went I just maid sure I landed in GZ with a full 2 weeks time just in case we got blue slipped needless to say we had no problem enjoyed GZ then spent even more time with her family in CQ then just departed from GZ. Yes you will worry about the loss of money if something goes wrong but what else can you do buy a ticket in China and sit at different ends of the plane from her.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

The alternate plan was to have her buy me a roundtrip from LA and a one-way for her, adjoining seats of course. Not living on the west coast I would incur the additional airfare, so it would end up costing considerably more money and a lot more inconvenient by having a 13 hour wait at LAX. I think the fly or die is the way to go. I don't anticipate any problems but then neither did Carl.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

The alternate plan was to have her buy me a roundtrip from LA and a one-way for her, adjoining seats of course. Not living on the west coast I would incur the additional airfare, so it would end up costing considerably more money and a lot more inconvenient by having a 13 hour wait at LAX. I think the fly or die is the way to go. I don't anticipate any problems but then neither did Carl.

LOL yep I had the 7 hour lay over in LAX it really sucked.

LOL yep I had the 7 hour lay over in LAX it really sucked.

LOL on my way out to my wife's interview I had a long layover at LAX as well and I met Hulk Hogan in the airport there and got an autograph.

I have tried to explain the WWF/WWE concept to my wife, but it's a bit bizarre and hard to describe. :D

PS Please don't worry about me ... it actually worked out WONDERFULLY.  I got laid off at the beginning of September, wife had her interview October.  They were kind enough to give me a great severance package, came back and got a wonderful new job that I really enjoy.

talk about landing on your feet!