Reminder for the noobs with upcoming interviews

I could not afford to go to China for my wife's interview. I wanted to use what little money I had saved up and my vacation time to have a little honeymoon driving home from San Francisco. Bing had a video of us chatting on yahoo Messenger, emails, letters, photos, everything but the kitchen sink.  Her evidence bag weighed about 10 pounds and was a full 3 inches thick.  I thought she wouldn't have any problem. I was very meticulous in organizing her evidence folder. The interview went something like this. 

VO. "Do you speak English?"

Bing. "yes but sometimes I have trouble hearing english"

VO. says something Bing doesn't understand then takes the folder away from her rudely and takes out the I-134 then starts writing out a blue slip.

Hands Bing the Blue slip along with a pink slip asking for a video of me speaking Chinese for 5 minutes.  Bing reads it then tells the VO she has a video of us talking.  The VO refuses to look at it or any other evidence and sends Bing away. 

The next week was a mad scramble for me to get a visa to China make arrangements to make a video of us speaking together since me writing and speaking chinese is impossible.  I was afraid to submit the original video since the VO had already rejected it. I got to China ASAP we made the video, I wrote a letter to the VO explaining that I was there to resolve the issue and take my bride home.  I firmly believe that me making the extra effort to be there for the appeal was what overcame the denial more than anything else. 

I couldn't afford to go. I am in debt up to my butt and had to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay of the visa bill but you know what?  My wife is here and I couldn't be happier.  It was worth every red cent. 

Can't afford to go?  I don't see how you can afford not to. It really is that important.  If you can't possibly get time off from work without losing your job I suppose you will have to hope for the best but in the event of a blue slip though you will be making the trip there anyway.

Your story of courage and perseverance is a wonderful one!!!

I think that your love shines through, and I wish the two of you the best.

I for one will be in China during my winter break to spend time with my precious.

However, money aside, if the interview were to be scheduled during the school year, then I would have two options:

1. go to the interview and MISS 1 YEAR OF UNIVERSITY (minimum, maximum, I must leave the university) or

2. Wait until June to attend

When the options come down to this, I am aware that I am willing to do either (1) or (2), as my precious will be forever. However, it would seem EXTREMELY unfair and horrible, likely creating a toxic environment that neither she nor I would want to live in, if it had to be done. We would definitely be united in this view.

Given the realities of such a situation, although your wisdom seems to prevail, the logistics seem to indicate to me that unless the interview happens to fall during one of my breaks, that it will be impossible to attend. What would the people here, who have gone through the process, both the seemingly easy ones (like Tony) or the more difficult ones, recommend?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lele,

I am very sympathetic with those that could not travel to Guangzhou for the interview....

From your previous posts, I am assuming that you are in a teaching capacity at MIT?

How does MIT handle lost time for: deaths in the family, long term illnesses or births?

I have to believe that academia must have some kind of solution for this, even if the general working world doesn't....

When I was teaching at the Univ. of California, 26 years ago, we had provisions for unexpected time off.... Is MIT a difficult working environment?

Lele,

I am very sympathetic with those that could not travel to Guangzhou for the interview....

From your previous posts, I am assuming that you are in a teaching capacity at MIT?

How does MIT handle lost time for: deaths in the family, long term illnesses or births?

I have to believe that academia must have some kind of solution for this, even if the general working world doesn't....

When I was teaching at the Univ. of California,  26 years ago, we had provisions for unexpected time off.... Is MIT a difficult working environment?

There is a policy which would allow me to go for a family emergency. This would be quite fine. The only problem is that I am still a graduate student (doing research which is what pays for my education and life, although to teach some day would be a nice change of pace, desirable to doing full-time research!). However, there is one remaining class (only offered once a year) which is required for me to complete my exams. The only problem is that it is offered in the Spring only. It is a requirement for degree completion. I could get the time off, but then I would have to wait an extra year before I would be able to take the class and hence advance. This is likely worth the pain, if it is what it takes. I just was hoping that this is not what it would take! :P

I really do thank you for your advice with this and all of your thoughtful and deep comments throughout the site.

There is a policy which would allow me to go for a family emergency.  This would be quite fine.  The only problem is that I am still a graduate student (doing research which is what pays for my education and life, although to teach some day would be a nice change of pace, desirable to doing full-time research!).  However, there is one remaining class (only offered once a year) which is required for me to complete my exams.  The only problem is that it is offered in the Spring only.  It is a requirement for degree completion.  I could get the time off, but then I would have to wait an extra year before I would be able to take the class and hence advance.  This is likely worth the pain, if it is what it takes.  I just was hoping that this is not what it would take! :rolleyes:

There are many SO's that have gone through the process without their partner. Sure, it is always best to be there. I intend to be there, but then I am self employed. If I was in your situation, I would take a pass on GZ. It seems like it would benefit both of you more if you stayed home and completed your studies and work. If any problem came up at the interview, you can always go to plan B.

If Jun's interview is in February or later, I would be able to go - my new job's vacation package kicks in on February 1st (after 90 days employment). If we get lucky and the interview is in January (still hoping to catch one during this recent flood) I wouldn't be able to go.

My plan is to go if something goes wrong. Jun won't be coming until after the Chinese New Year even if she gets her visa in January. I would much rather spend the money I would be spending for a ticket on Jun after she gets here then on a trip to GZ. If we get the worst-case combination of a blue slip in January, then we will probably have to wait until February to resubmit because I would want to be there for that. Otherwise, she's intelligent and her english is at a good level and I think we have our bases covered in the evidence department, so I think the chances of success are high enough that we can save the plane ticket for "emergancy only".

Jun has never left China and is a bit nervous about flying alone. I may accompany her back here even if I'm not there for the interview - but I have also had the suggestion of saving that vacation time for a carribean cruise as soon as she gets AP. So, when the time comes we will decide.

Carl,

I have the utmost respect for you and your advise in the past has served me well. I disagree with you that it is absolutely necessary to be in GZ for the interview. As I recall, wasnt the reason your video couldnt be used was that it was in the wrong format? That is was not VHS? It was your whole experience that drove me to prepare the VHS tape in the first place and for that I thank you although in the end is wasnt necessary.

I care for and love my fiance more than anything in this world including my job and any of the little money that I have. The two of us discussed my being with her for the interview at long length. We weighed the upside and downside and made a decision we thought was best for the both of us. I really do believe that the decision should be made in this maner, relative to the circumstances each individual is in. If you cant go to the interview - it is not certain doom.

Another piece of advise I have, when the VO asks if she can speak English, she should answer only YES. Not "a little" but YES. If the VO has any inclination whatsover that the two of you cannot communicate he will issue blue slip requesting the 5 min video. We were fully prepared for this outcome and in our case (given Jade already had the appropriate VHS tape) my being in China at the time would have served no purpose other than general support. In our shared opinion, the potential loss of my job in addition to the financial burdon was not worth me being in China in the capacity of general support. Sure I missed the chance to celebrate the good news with her when she got her white slip, but rest assured, we will do plenty of celebrating when she gets here!!

Jeff

Carl,

I have the utmost respect for you and your advise in the past has served me well.  I disagree with you that it is absolutely necessary to be in GZ for the interview.  As I recall, wasnt the reason your video couldnt be used was that it was in the wrong format?  That is was not VHS?  It was your whole experience that drove me to prepare the VHS tape in the first place and for that I thank you although in the end is wasnt necessary.

I care for and love my fiance more than anything in this world including my job and any of the little money that I have.  The two of us discussed my being with her for the interview at long length.  We weighed the upside and downside and made a decision we thought was best for the both of us.  I really do believe that the decision should be made in this maner, relative to the circumstances each individual is in.  If you cant go to the interview - it is not certain doom. 

Another piece of advise I have, when the VO asks if she can speak English, she should answer only YES.  Not "a little" but YES.  If the VO has any inclination whatsover that the two of you cannot communicate he will issue blue slip requesting the 5 min video. We were fully prepared for this outcome and in our case (given Jade already had the appropriate VHS tape) my being in China at the time would have served no purpose other than general support.  In our shared opinion, the potential loss of my job in addition to the financial burdon was not worth me being in China in the capacity of general support.  Sure I missed the chance to celebrate the good news with her when she got her white slip, but rest assured, we will do plenty of celebrating when she gets here!!

Jeff

The first video was in the correct format. The VO just refused to accept it She wanted one of me speaking and writing Chinese. Fortunately the 2nd VO who reviewed our overcome evidence was more open minded. Like I said if you can't go without losing your job which is basically what would happen to lele you will have to just hope for the best but if you're not going because you don't want to spend the money I believe that is unwise. Blue slips are becoming common place these days. Nothing tells the VO that it is a valid and commited relationship more than knowing you are waiting outside the consulate.

I think the fact my passport is filled with Chinese Visas, the fact that our paperwork was in order, the fact my fiance and I are close in age, the fact our relationship has survived almost 2 years through this process - all are more important to getting a white slip than me standing outside the consulate waiting during her interveiw. Just my opinion -- I could be wrong..

Jeff

I think the fact my passport is filled with Chinese Visas, the fact that our paperwork was in order, the fact my fiance and I are close in age, the fact our relationship has survived almost 2 years through this process - all are more important to getting a white slip than me standing outside the consulate waiting during her interveiw.  Just my opinion -- I could be wrong..

Jeff

At the time of interview Bing and I had known each other more than 2 years. We are 3 years apart in age and our paper work was flawless. Moons passport probably needs extra pages, and I know of no one more commited to their marriage than him. A blue slip can happen to anyone. Yes many have gotten the visas without being there but the majority of those were prior to last April before they tightend the screws. I still maintain that the best chances of success are being there.

Here are my final thoughts on this topic:

Carl, you and I are looking at this from different perspectives. You were in a situation where it was necessary for you to be in China for the interview. Had you been there for the initial interview, you could have expedited the VHS tape. So in your situation and for others in similar circumstances it is a good decision to be at the interview. Thus you feel strongly givng advise to be at the interview.

I look at this differently. Maybe I was just lucky, caught a VO on a good day, but I would beg to differ. Our VO peppered Jade with question after question. He was not polite, in fact he shut a window down on my fiances arm that she still has a red mark from when she tried to point out paperwork that he asked for but had it right in front of him. I would not say we caught this VO on a good day.

Jade was issued a white slip because she was prepared. She answered all the questions flawlessly. She was confident going in that she would get a white slip and in the end, with reluctance in Jades view, the VO issued her the white slip. One CFL member stated, after I announced Jades sucess, that "she beat them at their own game", and I believe this is true. I also believe that wether I was standing outside the consulate during her interview had no relevance to the VO's decision. Thus I give advise that being present at the interview is not necessary.

To each their own..In the end make a decision that is best for you and your SO.

Jeff

If we get the worst-case combination of a blue slip in January, then we will probably have to wait until February to resubmit because I would want to be there for that.  

What does GZ require when a blue slip is issued?

Is there always a specific piece of evidence asked for? Are you ever left hanging with a blue slip.... or is that what the yellow slip is for?

Also, what do you mean be "resubmit"? Just referring to getting back to GZ with the evidence they had asked for?

Lastly, is there an exact time frame for "resubmission"? From other stories i have heard that you must come back in some specified amount of time ( a day, a week??). Is this ture or have i miss understood something.

Thanks guys... just curious about what happens/what to do in the "blue slip scenario".

I have to agree with a lot of the statements that abound of the decision of the visa is 95% already made by the time of the interview...it is the 'other' 5% ie. the interview, where the final and binding decision is made, and we all know that no matter how much paperwork, affidavids, and anything/everything else that can be submitted that MAY or MAY NOT be looked at is that all it takes is one slip up, no matter how small or insignificant we may think it is, can change a VO's decision in an eye blink and end the interview without an explaination. We have all heard of the stories of denial for what we feel are/were very frivilous things.

I do not see ANY reason why Yunling will be denied, and that is looking at it from a VO's perspective, we have all the documentation, from noterized copies of my passport and plane tickets, photos from all 3 trips, emails, letter, phone bills, with plenty extra of everything. She also speaks english very well...BUT...I'm opting to be there, her interview is on a Tuesday, any problems...I will be in the consulate Thursday afternoon during American hour getting things right.

You all are killing me with this talk of needing to be there for the interview. I'm stressed enough, think you, about the whole thing and as luck would have it the interview is at a time that makes it impossible for me to be there. I'm fighting that whole space time continuum thing that makes it impossible to be two places at the same time. :lol:

It's not the money, it's the job. I used up the last of my vacation time on a trip to China at the end of September, thinking that the interview wouldn't be scheduled until after the first of the year. GZ has a way of tripping us up just when we think we got them figured out. Interview got set for Dec 20th. We are hoping for the best but I'm prepared to go to China if the worst happens. It will just have to be after the first of the year. I'm relatively new to CFL and had no idea about the whole video tape thing until after I got back form my last trip and came across this website which I'm thinkful for. It's been a great comfort and help. Like I said I'm just hoping for the best. Wish us luck.

The other thing I would say about this... The visa interview process is a bit of a dehumanizing process. The applicants are filed from place to place, generally treated pretty shabbily, especially by the chinese staff there from what I've heard. I know when my fiance was refused an f1 visa a few years ago, it was hard for her to forgive me for not being there, and hard to convince her to go through this somewhat degrading process again unless I'd be there with her.

Also, I do think being there makes a big statement to the VO. On our interview day, there were a total of 3 americans accompanying their loved ones, and one of them lived right in town. That's 3 out of I don't know how many. So I think it is something that catches the vo's eye in a favorable way.

If it's a decision between visit now or wait for an interview, I'd say 100% of the time you should wait for the interview. If it's a situation where you can't go for the interview without losing a job, going into serious debt, then I'd say don't sweat it too much. For example, I don't think I'd take out a loan or 2nd mortgageto get there for the interview. But I definitely fall into the group that says being there is the single closest thing you can get to the proverbial "slam dunk", even though itself is certainly no guarantee! As we all know, there are no guarantees in this, no matter what you do.

Obviously this is an individualized topic. It will be different for each couple and based on what they feel comfortable with.

I think money is probably the #1 reason why 99% of Americans aren't there when their Chinese SO goes through the interview. We either don't have the money or we have to keep a job to have money to live.

My last trip put me in a hole that I probably won't be out of when ShuPing gets her interview. If she weren't pregnant, I wouldn't be going, but I will probably have to sell my car in order to go. If she gets the interview before March, she'll be coming here ASAP. If, on the other hand, we're still waiting after March, I'll be going there to live for a few months.

My point is that my decision is based on our situation, she's pregnant and I wouldn't want to put her through the stress of going through the interview while she's pregnant and risk any problems either with the pregnancy or the visa.

Be there if you can, be there if you must, but don't be there if you don't think you need to be.