Reminder for the noobs with upcoming interviews

Congrats to the latest batch of interview appointees! Some of you may consider letting your S.O. go to the interview without you traveling to China. I strongly advise against this.

Plan A:

Spend a chunk-o-change on airfare to China in order to be on hand just in case things go sour in the interview.

Plan B:

Spend a chunk-o-change on Peptol-Pismol due to the indigestion caused when you realize that you should have chosen Plan A, and spend a chunk-o-change on the airfare to China anyway.

No matter what color slip your wife gets (white, blue, or yellow), have her keep it hidden until you are away from the half-ring circus outside the consulate gates. The immigration service touts hanging around the entrance can be quite persistant, doubly so when they see you have been blue/yellow slipped.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the latest batch of interview appointees!  Some of you may consider letting your S.O. go to the interview without you traveling to China.  I strongly advise against this.

Plan A:

Spend a chunk-o-change on airfare to China in order to be on hand just in case things go sour in the interview.

Plan B:

Spend a chunk-o-change on Peptol-Pismol due to the indigestion caused when you realize that you should have chosen Plan A, and spend a chunk-o-change on the airfare to China anyway.

No matter what color slip your wife gets (white, blue, or yellow), have her keep it hidden until you are away from the half-ring circus outside the consulate gates.  The immigration service touts hanging around the entrance can be quite persistant, doubly so when they see you have been blue/yellow slipped.

I learned this the hard way myself. Moon's words of advise are wise and should be heeded. The interview is not necessarily a slam dunk. What could be more important than being there for your fiancee/wife when she really really needs you?

I really dont think its necessary to travel given you have made adequate preparation and you have a VHS tape made and extra evidence in the stash in the event the dreaded blue slip comes. The fact that Jade speaks very good English, that we rehearsed the interview about 1000 times, and that I went through the forms with a fine tooth comb, I was very confident that our interview would be a sucess. Worst case in my mind - she gets a blue slip - turn in the VHS and additional evidence the next day - get the visa a few days later.

I stressed to her that the blue slip is not a failure, just a request for more evidence. I booked her flight a week and a half after interview date to accomodate this possible scenario.

To each their own though - If you or you SO feel it is necessary and you have the $$, then by all means do it.

Jeff

Worst case in my mind - she gets a blue slip - turn in the VHS and additional evidence the next day - get the visa a few days later.

Jeff

OK, how do you make the tape if you are not in China?

I have held off returning for one year. Partly because I thought the P4 would only take 6 to 9 months. After that it was economically impossible for me to visit twice in one year so now we are at the mercy of GZ.

Hopefully it will all be determined in the next week or so.

I, like Carl and Mooncarolcafe, agree. Make every effort to be in GZ for the interview. There are many things you can correct or prepare for the overcome submittal that would be impossible otherwise.

Well, I can definitely understand that it's not financially feasible for everyone to be there. I know I had to put off a summer visit, which of course got postponed thanks to our friends at gz till October. But aside from the overcome stuff, evidence suggests that it helps to be there, just to show the vo that you're there. Also I think we've learned here on Candle that anyone, no matter how strong their case may seem, or how many bases they've covered, can get a vo on a bad day and get the blue slip (or yellow slip, for that matter). To each his own, in reality by being there you probably increase your chance of success from 97% to 99%, so it may not be that big a deal. For me, it was nice to be there to ease my worries, to easy my fiancee's worries, to help each other cope if she got a blue slip (or worse), and, most importantly, to celebrate the white slip!

I think the interview is not just a simple interview- I don't think you should just be there in case of a blue slip. We had fun together while we were there- and as a female- I don't think I could have made it alone. Like when I took the LSAT in Beijing- Hengli came with me and bought me pencils and sharpened them, a cushion for my seat, a thermos, and really helped me calm down. I did the same for him when we had to go to Shenzhen and get the police document a second time and in the interview. It brought us closer together- and even though it was stressful- I will always remember that day and how special he is to me and how difficult it was for us to be together.

The idea of showing up sounds absolutely wonderful. I wish that I could. However, what would people recommend in a situation where the petitioner is a student or in a job from whcih they can NOT take off, except for well defined periods of time which tend to be long, but are nicely spaced every 6 or 9 months apart? I would hope that my case is not unique, but if it is, what is the better thing to do? When the process requires that the person be present, but will not allow flexibility with the scheduling of the date, nor the petitioner to actually enter and join in on the interview (as is allowed in most other nations for a K1/K3 interview) then what is the point of it? It seems quite frustrating!

PS. what is a yellow slip??

PPS. a true visa nightmare: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/29/opinion/...d=all&position=

I dont think anyone here going through this process hasnt been to China at least once to meet their SO. It is during this visit, or during one of your visits that I highly recommend making a VHS tape of you and your SO communicating. Like I said - to each their own and if I had the $$ sure I would have gone. I'm also with a company that is in the process of downsizing and the timing for a trip to China was not good.

I'm here to offer hope to those in a position who cannot be with their SO for one reason or another during her interview (much as they would love to be) that it can be done. Just be prepared to the hilt and with luck and prayer all will go well.

Jeff

However, what would people recommend in a situation where the petitioner is a student or in a job from whcih they can NOT take off, except for well defined periods of time which tend to be long, but are nicely spaced every 6 or 9 months apart?

If you can't get to China, you can't get to China, nothing you can do about it. If you have done everything reasonably possible to ensure a positive outcome, then your conscience will be clear. Still, the interview is THE most important thing your wife/fiancee will face. More important than you two getting married. You can be together without being married. If she does not pass the interview then you'll be the one moving to China to be with your love.

I too put off a return trip to China, waiting waiting waiting and wanting to be available for the interview. I ended up delaying my trip for 4 months beyond the date I had originally planned to return to China. I'd love to say that the trip is absolutely not needed. History has shown otherwise.

The yellow slip is what you get when the consulate has not yet decided if you get the lady or the tiger. It's a "Yeah, you gave us what we asked for, now go away, and don't call us-- we'll call you" notice.

I'm going, and I am very sympathetic for those who can't....

Not new to the Consulate at Guangzhou ... this will be my third and final visa for a Chinese national.

Fei has assured me (and I believe her) ---- that this is something that she can do without me -----her English is good --- and I did a great job in preping the ORIGINAL application documents ---- which I now believe is the MOST important step. (and might comment on that sometime)

BUT....

I have, over the months here read enough to back away from the whole "slam dunk" concept... Just seen too much that seems unpredictable....... Yes, this trip is going to be a real financial hardship for us, but I view it as a necessary one.

And Yeah ~! I expect we will have a great time~! ...an important time! ... not as important as the adoption of daughter # 1, but very sweet...

The yellow slip is what you get when the consulate has not yet decided if you get the lady or the tiger. It's a "Yeah, you gave us what we asked for, now go away, and don't call us-- we'll call you" notice.

I once heard a reference to something like "administrative review"? Would this be the dreaded yellow slip. I would be curious to hear more information about this. How often are these issued? do they give any reasons for why one was issued? Is there any hope after this happens... from the quote, you don't make it sounds like there is any... :D :D :D

Ryan

I don't know why we were the unlucky recipients of a yellow slip. I do know that a few weeks later the consulate called and faxed my office to verufy that I did work where the paperwork said I worked. I did not inquire which questions were asked of my wife in the interview. Anything that makes her think it might have been her fault is to be avoided.

I don't know why we were the unlucky recipients of a yellow slip.  I do know that a few weeks later the consulate called and faxed my office to verufy that I did work where the paperwork said I worked.  I did not inquire which questions were asked of my wife in the interview.  Anything that makes her think it might have been her fault is to be avoided.

Oh! That sounds absolutely terrible. How did your case turn out? I hope that you have been able to finally reunite! (I do not want to push you at all on a topic which may be sensitive for you, so please, feel free not to respond.) Best wishes to you.

I don't know why we were the unlucky recipients of a yellow slip.  I do know that a few weeks later the consulate called and faxed my office to verufy that I did work where the paperwork said I worked.  I did not inquire which questions were asked of my wife in the interview.  Anything that makes her think it might have been her fault is to be avoided.

Man! This does sound terrible. I never knew your story before, now i understand the sig line... :D

So what is the plan of action now? Do you know of other CFl member who got this? Have any been able to recover, by that i mean ultimately get their visa?

Well, i am sorry to hear this, i wish you guys better progress in the future. I hope it all works out.

I could not afford to go to China for my wife's interview. I wanted to use what little money I had saved up and my vacation time to have a little honeymoon driving home from San Francisco. Bing had a video of us chatting on yahoo Messenger, emails, letters, photos, everything but the kitchen sink. Her evidence bag weighed about 10 pounds and was a full 3 inches thick. I thought she wouldn't have any problem. I was very meticulous in organizing her evidence folder. The interview went something like this.

VO. "Do you speak English?"

Bing. "yes but sometimes I have trouble hearing english"

VO. says something Bing doesn't understand then takes the folder away from her rudely and takes out the I-134 then starts writing out a blue slip.

Hands Bing the Blue slip along with a pink slip asking for a video of me speaking Chinese for 5 minutes. Bing reads it then tells the VO she has a video of us talking. The VO refuses to look at it or any other evidence and sends Bing away.

The next week was a mad scramble for me to get a visa to China make arrangements to make a video of us speaking together since me writing and speaking chinese is impossible. I was afraid to submit the original video since the VO had already rejected it. I got to China ASAP we made the video, I wrote a letter to the VO explaining that I was there to resolve the issue and take my bride home. I firmly believe that me making the extra effort to be there for the appeal was what overcame the denial more than anything else.

I couldn't afford to go. I am in debt up to my butt and had to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay of the visa bill but you know what? My wife is here and I couldn't be happier. It was worth every red cent.

Can't afford to go? I don't see how you can afford not to. It really is that important. If you can't possibly get time off from work without losing your job I suppose you will have to hope for the best but in the event of a blue slip though you will be making the trip there anyway.