Passed AOS interview today

Today was the big day for us. The interview was at 2 PM. We arrived at the Government building at around 1:55 PM. There were about 50 people in the waiting room. So I thought we would expect a long wait. My wife and I were nervous because they rejected us the first time in March (need interpreter). This time my wife's sister was the interpreter. We were also worried because we didn't know if family members can be interpreter. I submitted the application in Sept last year. I even got new employment letter, check stubs, new I-184, and new bank statements showing joint accounts. The immigration officer called my name at 2 PM. He was a hispanic officer and had a minor accent when he spoke. First he swore us in. Then he asked me for our passports, about my present job, marriage certificate and 2003 tax return. He also asked me if this was my first marriage and if we had any baby. Then he asked my wife a few questions (Did you ever collect public assistance; Did you ever come to this country illegally; Did you ever get deported; Did you ever commit any crimes). Afterwards, he photocopied the passports and he told my wife she did really well in the interview. Then he stamped her passport and said this will be her temp green card until her real temp green card arrives in the mail in 6 months. He also said she can work and leave the country now. We thank him and that was it. I didn't have to show him any relationship evidences at all. We were out in 15 minutes.

I submitted for EAD renewal and AP in August this year. My wife was upset because we still don't have them. Now I don't even need them. What a waste of money.

Great news Tony. After GZ AOS seemed like a cake walk for us. Unless your wife speaks perfect english I recomend taking an interpreter. When the interviewing officer explains the conditions of the green card and all the other Govt. mumbo jumbo it helps to make sure she understands. Technically you are not supposed to take a family member to translate. Some IOs are more lax than others. Ours had our translater fill out a form saying he was the translator.

Congrats Tony. Glad to hear things went well for the two of you. It is always good to hear when one of the old timers has crossed a hurdle in the road.

As for us, we have now been waiting longer for AOS than for the original visa, which took 18 months. <_<

We haven't heard a word from Atlanta or Memphis and the 800 number is a waste of time. When they said in their letter to us, received in June 2003, to expect a wait of up to 36 months, looks like they weren't kidding. If that's the case, after 18 months of waiting for an AOS interview, we are only halfway there! :o :angry: :ph34r:

Great news Tony.  After GZ AOS seemed like a cake walk for us.  Unless your wife speaks perfect english I recomend taking an interpreter.  When the interviewing officer explains the conditions of the green card and all the other Govt. mumbo jumbo it helps to make sure she understands.  Technically you are not supposed to take a family member to translate. Some IOs are more lax than others.  Ours had our translater fill out a form saying he was the translator.

The AOS appointment letter said:

"If either the petitioner or the beneficiary does not speak English, an interpreter with valid photo identification must accompany you. You may not interpret for each other."

The letter did not disqualify family members. Actually, I worried about it too. Luckily, the hispanic officer was very nice. In my opinion, woman officers tends to be more tough. In March, we had a female officer for our first AOS interview and she asked a lot of questions.

Congratulations Tony!! It's finally dawned on me. Our government is true to form. It appears that even the AOS interview results depends on who is conducting it (maybe they can't all interperlate their rules the same). Like the K-1, 2,3 4 visa interview, no two seem to be the same nor is the time line the same.

Example: I didn't know what was needed before our AOS interview except for what I could glean from the vague instructions on the forms. I franickly put together anything joint we had accumalated over the last ten months. My wife was also without the commanding understanding of English, especially the governments wording (I'm not condeming my government's requirements). At the AOS interview. the questions that were asked were the same as, whatever previous form it was that asked about belonging to a communist entity, etc. The VO directed the questions to my wife in a language that she did not understand. I interpelated to my wife so she could understand. Her answers were the same as whatever the previous form answers were. This AOS VO was satisfied and approved the AOS. VO never looked at any joint property evidence. Never looked at anything. Also said that since the K-2 follower daughter (who arrived one year after my wife and only six days earlier than the interview) had attended this interview she probably wouldn't have a separate interview for her AOS, just file the I-485. Well, I don't know how anything works in any gov department, does anybody? I wish Godspeed to you Mick. We started the AOS about the same time. My wife received her conditional card two months after her interview. Her daughter, three months after her mother.

Congrats Tony. Glad to hear things went well for the two of you. It is always good to hear when one of the old timers has crossed a hurdle in the road.

As for us, we have now been waiting longer for AOS than for the original visa, which took 18 months. :)

We haven't heard a word from Atlanta or Memphis and the 800 number is a waste of time. When they said in their letter to us, received in June 2003, to expect a wait of up to 36 months, looks like they weren't kidding. If that's the case, after 18 months of waiting for an AOS interview, we are only halfway there!  :)  :)  :)

Mick,

Thanks. I hope your wife will get the AOS interview soon. With the birth of your baby, the interview should be smooth.