Sorry if this is old, but does the current GNI-2 form ask about previous membership in the Communist Party? My fiance has quit, but we're afraid the issue will come up somehow. I've read the threads on this forum that indicate a "don't ask, don't tell" policy is in effect at the GZ consulate, but my fiance just found a 1990 version of the GNI-2 form that asks about prior membership. Is this version still used, or has it been revised?

General rule of thumb with dealing with the USCIS. NEVER EVER EVER LIE TO THEM. It is entirely possible they could find out otherwise which would cause you a rejection. Other members have answered this question truthfully without negative effects.

I agree, never lie. What I'm trying to decide is whether or not to hire an immigration attorney. If the GNI-2 form asks about prior membership, then I think my fiancee has a much higher chance of being refused a visa. I assume an appeal would then have to be made based on her membership being required for employment, or something else along similar lines.

If the issue of membership in the Communist Party doesn't come up, I think my fiancee will breeze through the visa process. But if it does come up, I think I'll need a lawyer. I need to find out how likely it is that the issue will come up.

What does the GNI-2 specifically ask?

John, thanks for the search tip. I've already read pretty much all of the "communist" threads, and they were very informative. But I don't recall any reference to GNI-2 forms, and I got no hits when I searched on "GNI-2". Did I miss something?

Maybe I'm focusing too much on one form, but it's the only form I can't find on the web, and on the 1990 version the question about previous CP membership was asked. If that question is still there, my fiancee will answer it truthfully and stands a reasonable chance of being refused the visa, at least until an appeal can be made.

I understand that some people have had no trouble with getting the visa after answering yes to the question. But since I know nothing about their potentially unique circumstances or have any idea of the success/failure ratio, I feel uncomfortable. If the form only asks about current membership, we're home free. (Unless of course the VO decides to probe in that area for some reason.)

I appreciate all of the advice and information this forum has to offer, and given the number of persons here in the final stages of the visa process there must be someone here with specific and recent knowledge of the GNI-2 form. If the question is already covered in another thread, my apologies for bothering everyone.

There was a member here that recently went through that process, as a matter of fact he posted a follow up just a few weeks ago. His SO had listed that she was at one time a member and they blue slipped her at the interveiw. They did not reject her petition. She had to write a letter to the DOS explaining why she had joined( her work) and had not been an active member for a long time. The last post he left was that the DOS had received and reviewd there case and approved her visa, took about five weeks. The thread is here somewhere......the GNI-2 I have in my files is dated 1990 also, it really does not matter which form is used, like Carl said it is not a good idea to make any false statements, that will get an outright rejection.

Thanks. Then GZ policy really isn't "don't ask, don't tell", because 17© asks about past and present membership in a "totalitarian party". I see there is a place just below that question that allows the applicant to explain why he/she shouldn't be denied a visa because of this.

At least that's how I read the form. It's got so many words that are open to interpretation and such a convoluted sentence structure that I'm sure this is where lawyers make their living.

So, assuming my fiancee truthfully answers this question, is there a line of reasoning that works best in the explanation section?

I sense that it's time for me to visit an attorney.