A candle member has died.

Maybe have her take contact Catholic Services in Portland.  http://www.catholiccharitiesoregon.org/503...immigration.asp

Thanks Frank but she lives in Illinois, outside Chicago.

Sorry about that. If she needs help in Chicago, there are several pro bono organizations that might be of assistance. For example, she might try http://www.lafchicago.org/ which is non profit.

DaveR hit the nail on the head about important financial documents and papers, but it sounds like she is in the dark about it all. This will certainly complicate things. <_<

She really is in need of some sort of legal advice for sure, especially since she is from another country. Its a terrible position to be in... her husband just died, she's in a foreign country and not sure about the complex legal issues, she has children to worry about, she no doubt financial things to worry about, and her legal papers locked up in a bank someplace and out of easy reach apparently too. How much worse can it get for someone? Man I hope she has some close friends there to help her through all this. I hate to hear these kinds of stories.

Bing talked to her today and she has found an atorney. Some people from her church helped her find one. The whole thing is a mess. His body is still in Ohio where he died and she has no car, drivers licence and she lives far enough from the city that there is no bus service. I told Bing to tell her when she gets her affairs in order she is welcome to come here and stay with us. She has no idea whether or not there is a will or any life insurance.

This is definitely a wake up call for me to get my own affairs in order should something happen to me. I could not bear for Bing to be in this predicament.

Preparation is vital to insuring your loved ones continued well being.

This is definitely a wake up call for me to get my own affairs in order should something happen to me. I could not bear for Bing to be in this predicament.

you got that right dave and carl.

i was almost killed in a car accident on 3-11-03. i literally got snatched from the jaws of death. because of my own neglect, my hateful ex was still the beneficiary on my life insurance, 401(k), and named in my will to get everything else.

i don't mind dying if i have to, nothing is guaranteed for any of us; but the afterlife would have really sucked if the ex had gotten everything and yan zi got nothing. one of the first things i did when i got home and got functional again was take care of that paperwork.

i have learned that death is not something easily discussed in the chinese culture, though. when i sent yan zi a copy of my updated documents and explained what i was doing, she told me i "should not talk badly" about myself, and really just did not want to talk about any of this stuff at all.

my heartfelt condolences to that poor woman and everyone else who knew him. very sad

Sorry to hear about all of this.

Ok, he probably has a safe-deposit-box somewhere. Or, he has everything in an office desk in the house.

Did he update his will?

Does he have a life insurance policy? Who is the beneficiary?

Keep in mind, even if the wife is not specifically listed in the will, she may still have certain rights granted by the state. She may be elegible to money that was earned while they were married. She may also be able to keep his house even if not specifically listed in the will. Or, part of his social security / retirement funds.

She should find a good lawyer.

Are his parents still around and able to help?

How old are the children? Can they help with legal issues?

She should not take every thing for "face value". It is possible that a judge would even overturn a will if it is obviously outdated.

My warm thoughts are with her,

---- Clifford ----

Guest enight

true true... it is a sad accident, but it reminds me to prepare a will to let hubby gets everything I have if I died earlier than him. :P

... I don't want to die! ... I haven't tried everything in the States yet! http://www.wowpicture.com/image_face_icon/evil.gif