Need to cancel Hukou

Base on Oskar's post, I think his fiancee has a Temporary Residence Card of Shenzhen rather than a newer Hukou. People need a "temporary residence card" for legally working and residing as the local at an area which is out of their Hukou.We are not allowed to have dual/muti-Hukou over here. As my own experience, My Hukou was original in Hangzhou. few years ago moved to Guangdong for settling down my career there and I thought I'd stay in Guangdong for at least a long term therefore I applied a newer Hukou and It got approved while I had to cancel all previous residential stuff like Hukou, ID card etc in Hangzhou. My family Hukou booklet in Hangzhou no longer has my name on it and I have Guangdong Hukou and ID since then.I've been told once Chinese citizens emigrate abroad(at the time of applying US citizens) legally, they need to quit Chinese citizenship that means to cancel Hukou,ID etc.which leads that you are no longer eligible to have social benefits or welfare whatsoever as the citizens. It turns up to me that I might not apply for a US citizen in the future considering the possibility of investing business or having future children to be educated in China etc.

As for the personal tourist visa. I've got a pal who visited Australia a couple of months ago with that visa. He said he showed the visa officer his employment letter,Bank statements,and some other of financial documents like family house property, car receipt etc. and wasnot hassle. but I'm not sure for the EU area.

Rosey

• 7 years later...

There seems to be more to say on this topic of whether a PRC citizen who gets a U.S. green card should under PRC law cancel their hukou and what are the consequences of failing to do so.

It's being discussed in Quora here: https://www.quora.com/China/Is-it-true-that-Chinese-citizens-who-obtain-a-US-Permanent-Resident-card-will-have-their-Chinese-hukou-cancelled

I've posted there links to the PRC National People's Congress regulations, as well as the Beijing, Shanghai, and Inner Mongolia regulations.

Green card is NOT citizenship, a Chinese citizen remains a Chinese citizen when granted a green-card.

All the green-card means is that the foreign citizen is allowed to reside in the USA long term on a permanent basis.

They are not giving up their citizenship in China.