Went to the SSN Office this morning

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

Well went their this morning, the good news, Ling is in the systems, the bad news, did not have for I-688, the ead. I am pretty sure that when she filled out papers she did apply for, so now I am wondering, how long should it take to get the form from INS??

Should I either call Cleveland or Cincinatti to find out the status??

Thanks for the help here.

I'm a little confused, squeak, maybe because you're K-3 rather than K-1. For K-1, you can get a SSN with just the visa if you file early enough. Further, a K-1 can get a SSN without work authorization, but it will say "not valid for employment" or something to that effect. For some reason, I thought the I-688 was a temporary resident card. Are you thinking about the I-688A? The is a temporary ead that USCIS will issue if the application for employment authorization has been pending for at least 90 days.

I did not want to get a "not valid for employment" SS card, thinking it would be a pain in the butt to get it changed when Jingwen finally got her ead. We ended up getting temporary eads (Atlanta is soooooooooooo slow) and used them to apply for the regular SS cards. Unfortunately, we now have to wait for SSA to verify this with USCIS. Their little form letter said it would take about 45 days to get verification, but something tells me that it will likely take longer.

I have no idea if the process is different for K-3.

Guest blsqueaky

Okay, they told me that for me to get Ling's SSN, I must have DHS employment authorization (I-688B/I-766). They said that it is a form that they will send me as long as she applied for it, and from what I can see on her forms, she did check the block yes on the form DS-156 that she intends to work when she gets here.

Now just wondering if this is normal, or do I have to go to Cleveland or Cincinatti to get this form from the local office.

It is still nice to know that she is at least in the system. From what I understand talking to SSN today, once I get that form, then she gets SSN.

Guest blsqueaky

Just got off the phone with INS, and this is what they told me. I have to file I-765 with Chicago, and when and if approved, then they will mail me the I-688B/I-766. Right now they are processing applications received 2/04, so I guess that I will be waiting at least 6 months, maybe 7 before can re-apply for SSN.

Also was told that can not file for AOS till I-130 approved, and right now Nebraska is looking at 570 days and mine was received Aug 03, so I guess that I still more waiting for them. At least Ling is with me.

Hi Mark,

We are K-3.

Now you want to file I-485 and I-765(EAD) concurrently.

our timeline:

I-765/I-485 filed .........................................12-17-2003

I-765 appointment( photo/fingerprint)...........02-06-2004

EAD received...............................................05-31-2004

SS card received..........................................08-02-2004

That simple!!!........and that quick!!....... <_< :lol:

Guest blsqueaky

Tony, thanks, do I file both of them with Chicago. I have the forms ready to go, at least I think that I do, will check again, but just wondering.

Thanks for the assist Tony

Tony, thanks, do I file both of them with Chicago. I have the forms ready to go, at least I think that I do, will check again, but just wondering.

Thanks for the assist Tony

For K-3 (a-9), the I-485 is sent to the Chicago address. The I-765 is "LIFE K3/4"

P.O. Box 7218

Chicago, IL

60680-7218

Good Luck, Mark, and a word of advice........."MAKE IT WORK!" for the sake of both of ya. As Don pointed out in his post, it is not an easy thing to co-exist. I can attest to that and I am sure that there are many others that also can, but we overcome our differences and not let them beat us. This is true love, to rise above the cultural differences in order to make a life together.

I am sure things are going well with you two. Just wanted to throw that bit of info in...lol.

Good luck and hang in there, yous two! All will come to pass... :lol:

I could be wrong, and have many doubts at the moment. But i had the understanding that as a K3/K4, that i would file the I-485, and the I-765 concurrently at my local office which would be either Atlanta or Charleston,SC.

Is that not correct? I am about 1 week away from filing. We just got the I-693 (medical exam) complete. I would much rather file through Chicago, but as of now, am totally confused!

argggggggggg!!!!!!!!

I could be wrong, and have many doubts at the moment. But i had the understanding that as a K3/K4, that i would file the I-485, and the I-765 concurrently at my local office which would be either Atlanta or Charleston,SC.

Is that not correct? I am about 1 week away from filing. We just got the I-693 (medical exam) complete. I would much rather file through Chicago, but as of now, am totally confused!

argggggggggg!!!!!!!!

You're right, Patrick.

The I-485 does go to the CIS field office that has jurisdiction over one's area of residence. The I-765 is sent to Chicago for K-3 visa holders.

My bust!... I guess I was thinking Chicago because CIS just recently transferred my wife's I-485 from the D.C. office to the National Benefits Center for "faster" processing, so they say.

Guest blsqueaky

I just know that when I talked to INS, they did tell me that the I-765 had to be liked in Chicago. I have not even started to think about the I-485 yet or the AOS since I can not file any of those papers until the I-130 is approved and sent back to me, and I am still looking at another 200 days for that. Right now just trying to get the dayum SSN.

argggggggggg!!!!!!!!

You're right, Patrick.

The I-485 does go to the CIS field office that has jurisdiction over one's area of residence. The I-765 is sent to Chicago for K-3 visa holders.

My bust!... I guess I was thinking Chicago because CIS just recently transferred my wife's I-485 from the D.C. office to the National Benefits Center for "faster" processing, so they say.

Ok, In fact. Because you are allowed to file the I-765 along with the I-485. You file them together at your district office. They will forward the I-785 to the correct office.

Patrick

ps...all it takes is a little doubt and i am totally confused by all of this :D

Guest blsqueaky

Patrick, I talked to INS, and they told me that the I-765 has to be filed i Chicago, I asked about other, and they told me with the district. I even saw something on their web site about Nebraska again, but SSN told me Cleveland or Cincinatti, my local office here, but the I-765 had to be chicago.

Guest blsqueaky

Patrick, I am not saying that what you are saying is wrong, I am just stating what BCIS told me on the phone when I actually got a live person. She told me that the I-765 has to go to Chicago, for where I live, and the rest will be either Cleveland or Cincinatti. I am just glad that she did not tell me Nebraska. Also, there is much that will be handled here in a sub office, 30 miles away. I still have to talk to them and see what they can handle

I know what it says on the BCIS site, but I want to talk to someone in person.