Hi All,

Well, I haven't really come out and said this, because I've been worried about, well, maintaining face.

It's funny, even being born in the U.S. and raised in an environment where there were very few asian people, I have been told I am culturally "very Chinese". My mother thinks my mindset is more in tune with Chinese culture than hers, and she was born in Macau. :rolleyes:

I just started a new job in I.T. It's really great, good coworkers and interesting technology. Unfortunately, the company is getting hit really hard by an unfavorable climate. A lot of people got laid off, and we've been told that things aren't getting much better anytime soon.

My concern is the I-134. I've seen a lot of positions open for 3-6 month contract positions and contract-to-hire (they give you a 6 month "trial period" and if you perform well they offer you a full-time job).

I read over the criteria for statement of employer:

* Date and Nature of Employment

* Salary paid

* Whether the position is temporary or permanent

Not sure how the consulate would take to a contractor, since I think that would be considered "temporary" employment. However, as far as I am concerned, any job in I.T. is "temporary" these days, and I am thinking that "temporary" employment may be preferred to "unemployed".

Has anyone had any experience in this regard? Please let me know, I would be very grateful for any advice or insight.

Thanks,

P.J.

PJ,

I don't think you have to worry for the GZ interview. Just show them the W2 for the last 3 years, then it should be fine. Usually they don't even look at the I-134. During the time my gal had her K1 interview, I didn't have a job. So I put down self-employed in IT. My unemployment for 9 months was my earning for that year and that was over the poverty level.

Mike and Tony,

Thanks for the responses. :D

That's one less thing I have to worry about. Of course, trying to keep focused on the the work situation (and staying employed) is plenty enough to worry about in and of itself. :(

P.J.