I could go live in China in my wife's three bedroom condo at any time if only I could find a medical transcription company that would allow me to work from such a distance and from what used to be called communist China. But the company I am working for says that I can't do it, supposedly because of privacy concerns, like somebody is going to hack into the 128-bit encrypted material just so they could find out about somebody's gallstones.

Yeah, Darrel,

Life in China can be very relaxed, and enjoyable for a westerner.... I am convinced of that from my recent trip..... but in my case, I have my daughters, and my ex took them on a road trip --- before I could see them after my return from China, and I miss them... probably wouldn't want to be away from them for long periods of time..

Kaige---

One of the things that really stood out during my recent trip to China was the difference of workmanship the buildings built before the opening of China ( early 80's) and what is being produced now.

And tile work is one of the best examples: The stuff done during the late Communist era is just laughable! no straight lines, nothing fits or is finished --- sharp edges, no radius tiles at all... just a joke. but Fei's sisters apartment (mid -1990's) is very exact, and well made....

Kaige---

One of the things that really stood out during my recent trip to China was the difference of workmanship the buildings built before the opening of China ( early 80's) and what is being produced now. 

And tile work is one of the best examples:  The stuff done during the late Communist era is just laughable!  no straight lines, nothing fits or is finished --- sharp edges, no radius tiles at all...  just a joke.  but Fei's sisters apartment (mid -1990's) is very exact, and well made....

Interesting topic.

As you know, I haven't made it to China yet, but could draw some comparisons with Russia.

As far as brickwork in Russia. They don't bother to stack and paletize the bricks, but rather haul them in a dump truck. Thus, they start with every brick with chipped corners. And, they haven't figured out to use a sting line. The Communist era construction is extremely plain, boxy construction.

Only in the new construction after the fall of communism, I have seen some glimmers of hope that they might start adding style and beauty to their architecture. Of course, there is some beautiful architecture in Moscow which has been much richer than the rest of the country.

Now, who is richer, us or the Russians.

Well, I find it amazing how they can do with so little. I can't even imagine living on less than $100 per month. And they still do things like hire carpenters for a home remodel. Of course, replacing a washer on a leaky kitchen faucet seemed to be well beyond the imagination of of the most astute Russian homeowner.

Of course, perhaps we should compare the average Russian to the average American Doctor or Lawyer :P)

How many Doctors or Lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?

But, there are some things that we just take for granted in America. Let's see. I started driving at 16. I got my first car at 18. I bought my first house at 24. I now have two (functional) cars for a single person.

Very few Russians move out of their parent's houses before marriage. And, it is now becoming more common for the children to continue to live with their parents after marriage (and even after having their own children, 3 generations crammed into a small 1-bedroom apartment).

Well, anyway, I still am amazed at how little of my salary can remain at the end of the month. But, I certainly would not want to start working for wages such that it would take 100% of my salary for a week just to buy a new pair of jeans of marginal quality.

----- Clifford ------

I think the best way to answer the question is this: follow the money.  How many people sought the equiviant of K-1/K-3 visas to China.

Nuff said.

If it was not for the fact I have kids I would be in China right now, I spent years living under the most repressive form of government there is(Military), I think I could handle life under Chinese rule easy.

Darryl,

You make my point well...for the most part. Yes, we as USCs could live as kings in China. Only in part because of our "wealth." I too am tempted. But, with my step-son and new baby, there is NO WAY I'd make them struggle so hard to obtain so little. My baby will be 18 in 18 years. He'll be off to school and on his own. After that, I'll take my little nest egg and live the high life in China. If I get sick or need a good doctor, I'll catch a flight to Tokyo or something to extend my life as far as it can go. That is, of course, assuming China maintains the status quo. Believe me when I say I pray that isn't the case. My dream is that the China government drops the lie of "The Big Red Star" and realizes how rich She can be without it.

I enjoy this subject, how many of us would like to venture into buying and fixing propertys in China? I have built a home from the ground up owner builder, I am employed as an electrician  since 1979, but always maintained apartments for grandparents , plumbing , roofing and all the junk that is involved, my tile work is good, I went to a new house that was wired by the company I worked for , to only see how the tile man screwed up the same tile I had in my own house,  if it was my house I would have said rip it up start again, maybe my problem is do it correct the first time, also I am from German heritage were I take pride in my work , I have done all parts of building, Hey can I get a builders licensce in China ? what does it take, money of course. I give this subject one eyeball. lets have some thoughts on this

I did most of my tile work myself before too and built a table. But now the tiles have been ripped up and new ones put in by others, my table fell apart and I have been trying to convince the garbage men that it is their job to get rid of the L shaped table totalling 12 foot long, cause I could not move it.

Anyhow, I am thinking of applying my skills at building things (chuckle) into making better building materials, mosiac, tiles, stone, bathroom sinks, vanity, even possibly kitchen cabinets (although I never ventured into building it).

Buying and fixing property does not pay in China, they believe in tearing things completely down and build new ones. However there are other opportunities simply because it is now a giant construction site trying to turn into a manufacturing center for the world.

In US big cities,  you see so many homeless people. When I was in Nanning, I didn't see that many homeless people.  Maybe I didn't know where they are.

When I was in Hefei, there were plenty on the streets and in the parks there. Most were from the countryside and had gravitated to Hefei because it is the Provencial capital.

Having lived in China for five years, I do have somewhat of a feel for the place. There are pros and cons to living in either country. Here in America we enjoy many freedoms and, especially in terms of transportation and medical care, life is much better. Yet that, too, comes with a price. I work long hours to make a living for my wife and daughter and have little disposable income.

While living in China, I worked fewer hours yet had a much greater degree of disposable income. The apartment I lived in was not as nice as the one here, but it came without cost. All in all, my financial situation was a bit better there and the stress of daily life was less. However, there were also costs involved. Travel was a crowded headache, the air quality was a horror and the medical care scared the hell out of me. I have a heart condition so this was a major concern of mine to say the least.

The other big issue that troubled me in China was the lack of a free press. Being a journalist myself, this was a sensitive area for me. I hated not being able to find out what was really going on without having to go through all kind of clandestine channels to get at accurate information. This was especially true during the early days of the SARS outbreak.

I think I could be, have been, and am happy living in either place. Right now, America is the better choice for us as we have a new child and both of us agree that it would be better for her to be raised here.

Who is richer? I think both are in their own ways.