Do I have to update notaries to the interview?

A quick question please.

Do I have to get up-to-date single status & non-criminal notaries? The ones that we turned in with the petition is expired, and so far I haven't got my interview scheduled yet.

I would certainly obtain updated documents. This if from the consulate's website: http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzho...u/iv/kvfaq.html

What's the period of validity for medical reports and notarial certificates?

Notarial birth certificates, marriage certificates and divorce certificates have unlimited validity. Medical reports, notarial single certificates and police certificates are good for one year from the date of issuance.

As a general rule, the medical personnel at the facility that conducted the exam will assemble the P4 documents that will go with the applicant to the interview. It is this set of documents that should be current.

Yes- both the marriage certificate and the police certificate have to be updated. Unfortunately we did ours on May 8th of last year and our interview is on May 19th so we had to fly to Shenzhen from Shanghai this weekend (my fiance's hukou is in Shenzhen) and are waiting in Shenzhen on our notarization now. Sucks.

Absolutely get new ones. But my question is ... why did you get these documents so early? You said you included them with your petition? An original petition for a K-1 visa? If you're talking about a K-3 visa, then I haven't a clue what's required for that.

But for the sake of others behind you who are filing for a K-1 ... a single certificate and police records are not required at the initial/original submission of the I-129F and G-325A forms. Those are only required at the time of interview, which is anywhere from 6 to 12 months after orignal submission (typically).

I think it's best to get the single and police certificates at the time you receive Packet 3 (which coincidently is what the instructions say).

It's a good question, Jim.

Phil and I "got" a lawyer, who "helped" us prepare our paperworks for I-129, which I think he didn't do anything but ask us to prepare everything for him and then he just collected them, sent them out and charged us more than $500. Then when we called him up for updated information which last about 2 minutes, he charged us for half an hour interview fee, which is another $80. When the NOV-2 did come, he sent to us the same notice that we got about 2 days earlier and also another $60 bill for filing... We just hope we wouldn't be charged for more he didn't do for us.

Mariah