Going to China in 5 days. Need advice, help, etc.

Hello all,

This is my first post. But I've been reading for a few months now and it's helped me greatly in preparation for what I'm about to do.

But I figured that I'd put up this post to get any words of wisdom before I take my trip to China.

My deal is that I'm going to China with the intention of marrying my gf while I'm there. It might not happen (because of various reasons) but that's the plan right now. Then she'll come here later with the K3 visa after I finish school in about 6 months. If we don't get married this time, she'll just come with the K1 visa.

So far, this is what I gather that I should take with me to have her help me fill out or have taken care while I'm there:

For us to fill out and for me to keep:

1) I-130 Petition for Alien Relative (if we get married. if not, then I-129.)

2) I-864 Affidavit of Support

3) G-325A Biographic Information

For her to fill out or keep:

4) DS-230 Immigrant Visa Application

5) DS-2053 Immigrant Medical Exam

6) Copies of my Passport

7) Copies of my Birth Certificate

8) Immigration pictures

9) Passport

Is there anything that I'm missing? Is there anything else that I should do while I'm there? Is there anything else that I should bring?

Any help, info or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be posting more questions later but I figured that I'd start with this one.

Michael

Guest Long_strider

Take some pictures of the two of you together. Also, if possible take some pictures of the two of you with her family members. This is important for the K-1 process.

Remember she must sign her name on the G325a Form in Chinese.

If you marry in China, copy of the marriage documents.

If you are applying for K-1 then she will need a notarized single certificate with English translation, good for 12 months.

Notarized Copy of her birth certficate with English translation

Go ahead and get the I-129F info while you're there.  Although I was  K-1, I think you'll need the I-129F for the K-3 as well.

You might also check out http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm and http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....f09ba45577b915d

Mike,

Welcome to the Candle, and I hope your trip to China is a wonderful experience and that your new love is more than you expect.

Where do you live?

If you live in the North East, you might consider just filing the I-130 without the 129F.

As I understand it, the I-130 goes to your regional service center. If it gets sent to Vermont, the processing is about the same as your I-129F so you may not need both.

If you live anywhere else in the country, I believe that you send in the I-130 first, then as soon as you get the receipt, you send in the I-129F to Missouri.

Somebody else that went through the system might be able to comment on the process for the K3, as well as whether it is worthwhile for people from the North East to apply for the K3 rather than just the I-130.

----- Clifford -----

Why do I use form I-134 instead of I-864?

I don't see an explanation on either form as to why you would use one instead of the other.  Unless I missed something.

I'm confused.

Mike,

The financial stuff is presented at the interview at the end of the process. you do not include it with your Form I-129F / I-130. You must have done quite a bit of research to know as much as you know now.

Look for form OF-169 which explains the data to be presented for the interview. I believe you can find copies of it with a quick web search (all versions are essentially the same), or you can look at the Pinned FAQ above.

The I-134 and I-864 use the same poverty tables, but as I understand it, the I-134 is used for both the K1 and K3 visas, but the I-864 is needed later for the AOS interview.

----- Clifford -----

I-864 is for the family member immigration applicant. K-visa is a non-immigrant visa. If you get married in China, you file for CR-1, which usually takes 2 years, you will use I-864 in the interview for CR-1, so no need to include I-864 in the P1 for CR1. Becasue CR-1 takes too long time, you do not want to being separate for that long, you apply K-3 after receiving P-1 of CR-1, you need following things to apply for K-3: passport & birth certificate copy, marriage notarization, I-129F, G-325A for both of you, copy of I-130, immigration pictures for both of you. In the interview of K-3, (usually 8 months after your application) your wife will show the I-134 to the VO, not I-864. You will only need I-864 in the Adjustment of Status of your wife after she comes to the States.

CR1 is spouse visa. Beneficiary of this visa can entering US and granted a green card upon arrival. When you get married with an alien spouse, you apply for CR1 visa for her.

As for the P1, sorry for the confusion, my point is that you will not use any form of I-134 or I-864 when you first apply for CR1 or K3. Usually P1 refers to NOA1(notice of action 1, petition receipt) After you mailing out your petition, you will get a receipt of your documents.