Spousal Distancing in China

Several case studies from the Sixth Tone

As China eases its virus-control policies, some couples are emerging stronger than ever. Others are sprinting straight to the divorce office.

http://image5.sixthtone.com/image/5/25/836.jpg

A couple walks out of the marriage registration office after finishing their divorce process in Shanghai, March 8, 2013. Zhang Xinyan for Sixth Tone

“I’ve never felt that determined in my life,” says Zhang. “The pandemic helped me make up my mind.”
Many Chinese couples have had similar realizations during the past few months. As cities began relaxing their virus-control policies in early March, registry offices across the country were swamped by an unprecedented number of divorce appointments.
The northwestern city of Xi’an saw a surge in divorces, while a district in the southwestern city of Dazhou also reported a sharp increase in divorce applications between Feb. 24 and March 11.
Lan Zi, a divorce counselor at a marriage registry office in the southern city of Shenzhen, says she’s been overwhelmed by the growing number of couples seeking her services since the start of the pandemic.
“Couples are having to make reservations a month in advance before they can get a divorce,” Lan tells Sixth Tone.