Why Beijing covered up the outbreak and won’t accept foreign assistance

from Lei's Real Talk

The world is anxiously watching China’s COVID cases surge as the 1.3 billion Chinese struggle to survive the pandemic blowing through the country. Western countries should develop a better strategy to deal with the burgeoning global public health and economic crisis. Today, we’ll talk about how Beijing has covered up the outbreak and who it will blame for the public health disaster.
References:

https://www.rfa.org/cantonese/news/co...

This is the video I made about the money behind "Zero COVID"
https://youtu.be/hHu6iXIPHZM

“I’m now confused...What’s the point of quarantine and PCR tests if we’re going back to a family full of positive cases? I’ve been in the United States for the past nine months and haven’t gotten infected despite a higher caseload. Now this?”  - Tang, student at a U.S. university

from the Sixth Tone on Facebook 

China’s Inbound Travelers Confused Over Quarantine as COVID Spreads Unchecked
Many returnees say they’re unsure about going home after being released, as many family members have COVID.

She spent around $6,000 in total for air tickets between Los Angeles and Guangzhou, PCR tests, and eight days of quarantine. Tang said she had no qualms about it, considering she was visiting her parents, both in their late 40s, and protecting them from COVID potentially being passed on.

But as the coronavirus spread through China since the country dismantled most of its virus control policies earlier this month, her parents tested positive for the virus just a day before she was to leave her quarantine Wednesday.

Though pandemic controls have loosened, China still requires travelers from overseas to do a pre-boarding PCR test and quarantine for five days at a government-designated facility, as well as three more days of at-home isolation. On Thursday, news outlet Bloomberg reported that the country was planning to scrap quarantine for international arrivals starting January, though there has been no official confirmation.

Social media posts suggest that the southwestern city of Chengdu was already implementing its own rules for inbound travelers, with several users on Xiaohongshu saying that they only had to undergo a two-day hotel quarantine and three days of home isolation. The government hasn’t formally announced the rule, and a member of staff at Chengdu’s Shuangliu International Airport told Sixth Tone on Friday that they were still implementing measures from the official playbook.

On Xiaohongshu, hundreds of people who had just landed in China and were in quarantine seemed confused about their plans after being released. Many said their family members had already tested positive for the coronavirus.

“Where should I go after quarantine?” asked many, becoming one of the most pressing questions on the platform.

This recent abrupt opening is VERY interesting and highly unexpected. 

I think that the "controlled burn" strategy that was originally used in the west may in the end turn out to be the best strategy, as crazy as it was when first proposed. Keep COVID numbers low enough to not overburden the healthcare system early on until a vaccine comes out and/or the virus mutates to a weaker form when restrictions can be lifted to start building up herd immunity with fewer deaths.

Even with that we are seeing major repercussions now - huge outbreaks of RSV among kids, a nasty flu season, etc.  Not to mention other related fallout like learning loss in schools. 

If there's one thing the US did well, it was the clear messaging to not go to the ER unless you are having serious symptoms (e.g. trouble breathing). I just saw a report of a guy that went to the hospital with a runny nose and a "fever" of 98.5 degF. 

Take care of yourself and stay safe Randy...

• Like 1

Thanks - you, too. We seem to be fairly safe here, although there is definitely an outbreak of "suddenly sick" people.

Facing a rapid surge of COVID-19 infections nationwide, many Chinese say they are experiencing the “illusion” of symptoms, despite not being COVID-positive. Some psychologists have explained the phenomenon as the result of fear and anxiety after China suddenly relaxed its pandemic restrictions.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1
On 12/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, Doug said:

In Changzhou City, Jiangsu Province, the Omicron Covid is all over the place.  People here seem much more receptive to it.  "You're going to get it" is the theme, then a little giggle or smile.  My wife has flipped from being so paranoid mask wearing cautious traveling in the USA, to wanting me to get exposed and get over with it, the attitude I had from the beginning.  I got out of quarantine just to have her pick me up with her having a fever starting.  She had a miserable time for a day and a half with a high fever and a bit senseless.  They have some wonder pills floating around my wife's sports office her boss sent over, that made her really feel better.  Now she is better.  Her Handball teams are sick or have been sick.  We went to buy me a Chinese phone and the store was closed.  Banks couldn't exchange currency because too many out sick.  Instead of the government shutting stuff down, the people are just home sick not able to work.  It's all self-quarantine and decision making.  Everyone is happier.  Schools are functioning the best they can instead of just forced closings.  

My Beijing Rep in China seems a little more cautious, and he says other customers are cautious, like over in Xian.  He and his family of wife and 2 sons all got Omicron and just got over it.  It hit him hard with high fever for a day, and his throat couldn't speak.  He is much better now, but he says he still tests positive and can't, or won't, travel until it reads negative.  So, I have no idea when we will see customers, AND, that will be privately over lunch or dinner, rather than visiting in their office.

My Travel:  Advice: Have WeChat app on your phone and learn how to scan a QR code coming to China.  Know the complete address and Chinese phone number of a frind where you're going in China and keep it handy for all the code forms.  Keep your mobile phone charged.  VPN already on your laptop.  If possible, a way to pay for things by scanning a QR Code, as I never would have made it through the hotels if not for my wife already in China.  Bring snacks if you have this quarantine business, which is supposed to end in January.  

Overall everyone, especially fellow passengers really warm and friendly.  No hostility toward an American.  I arrived in Shanghai from the USA on Dec 13.  We had to land in Soule Korea to change the crew who would take us on in.  No passenger allowed off.  Now all this QR Code business is ridiculous, but OK be patient...  A green moving code to get on the plane from covid test center and the Chinese Embassy in D.C. approving.  I arrive at DFW Airport just to get notified I need a BLACK QR Code too.  OK thankfully Lele there to help, since it was in Chinese.  Fly to Shanghai, where long blocked off paths weaving through the airport to an up the nose covid test taken.  More paths and I got met by another black QR code needed, so I manage to fill that out on the phone low on electricity.  Then bussed to a hotel where yet another QR Code awaited me.  One Chinese girl passenger could speak English and was very helpful, as was everyone actually.  It took 5 hours to get out of the Pudong airport and on the bus.  I guess another hour on the bus.  Got to hotel too late for dinner.  3 days in Shanghai, with a hotel that the heater worked all night, Wow.  Bussed to a transfer station in Jiangsu Province, according to which city you were going.  Took most of the day but got to Changzhou for a very upscale hotel from the 1930s or so, that was fairly wore down.  Heat turned off at night and I complained and it worked all the next night.  Dec 18 I was released.  A security monitor was already on the door of her apartment, awaiting my arrival.  It was supposed to be there for 3 days, but the rules must have changed again as it was removed the following day and I was free.  6 days, instead of the planned 8.  No one here seems to care about testing or staying inside.  Just go ahead and spread.  Weird I meet people like myself.

What a trip sounds like a PITA but at least you made it with a slightly shortened quarantine! With the recent reopening we're cautiously starting to plan a trip for June-July of this year. I'll have to get a Q2 visa unless they happen to re-activate older tourist visas from before. If the quarantine goes away by June we'll 100% be going back to visit. Worst case scenario we'll meet her family in HK though we're still unclear as to how to get the '14 day visa' in HK as a Chinese national. 

20 minutes ago, Barfus said:

What a trip sounds like a PITA but at least you made it with a slightly shortened quarantine! With the recent reopening we're cautiously starting to plan a trip for June-July of this year. I'll have to get a Q2 visa unless they happen to re-activate older tourist visas from before. If the quarantine goes away by June we'll 100% be going back to visit. Worst case scenario we'll meet her family in HK though we're still unclear as to how to get the '14 day visa' in HK as a Chinese national. 

Your wife's family should be able to purchase an entry card for her through the PSB, if they're not available at the Chinese consulate.

25 minutes ago, Randy W said:

Your wife's family should be able to purchase an entry card for her through the PSB, if they're not available at the Chinese consulate.

Is it generally as simple as going to the Chinese consulate in Chicago, purchasing a 14-day card, and then being able to fly to HK from the US and stay up to 14 days? I know that generally stays of <7 days are handled easily enough but that would be too short and hardly worth the long flight over. My wife is going to call the consulate after the holidays to double check as well. THanks for the quick (and early!) reply Randy

26 minutes ago, Barfus said:

Is it generally as simple as going to the Chinese consulate in Chicago, purchasing a 14-day card, and then being able to fly to HK from the US and stay up to 14 days? I know that generally stays of <7 days are handled easily enough but that would be too short and hardly worth the long flight over. My wife is going to call the consulate after the holidays to double check as well. THanks for the quick (and early!) reply Randy

I think it is, but the Consulate will have the details. The card sold at the PSB is good for a year or 2 or 3 - you simply "charge" it electronically with how many days you need. I assume the same thing or an equivalent would be sold at the Consulate.

40 minutes ago, Randy W said:

I think it is, but the Consulate will have the details. The card sold at the PSB is good for a year or 2 or 3 - you simply "charge" it electronically with how many days you need. I assume the same thing or an equivalent would be sold at the Consulate.

Thanks for the input Randy - she is going to contact the Chicago consulate when it opens up later this week to double check, as she's gotten conflicting answers online. Oddly enough we're actually in Chicago now but are planning another trip back here in March/April to 

• Get me a Q2 visa
  • Renew my stepdaughter's Chinese passport
  • Renew our daughter's travel doc
  • Sort out the HK "visa" situation for my wife/stepdaughter who are on Chinese passports

Going to be a fun day trip based on our recent experiences there 🤢! I know some of this stuff is now done via mail and even APPs nowadays but we're just going to try to get it out of the way in one shot here and be near the consulate just in case

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Barfus said:

Thanks for the input Randy - she is going to contact the Chicago consulate when it opens up later this week to double check, as she's gotten conflicting answers online. Oddly enough we're actually in Chicago now but are planning another trip back here in March/April to 

• Get me a Q2 visa
  • Renew my stepdaughter's Chinese passport
  • Renew our daughter's travel doc
  • Sort out the HK "visa" situation for my wife/stepdaughter who are on Chinese passports

Going to be a fun day trip based on our recent experiences there 🤢! I know some of this stuff is now done via mail and even APPs nowadays but we're just going to try to get it out of the way in one shot here and be near the consulate just in case

That HK "visa" thing is actually a travel document/little plastic card for Chinese citizens. Like I said, I expect you will be able to take care of it at the consulate, but they'll tell you what the deal is!

From the middle of this month, many pharmaceutical companies and local authorities have taken measures to distribute medicines for free or set up platforms to let people help others.
For example, Tencent launched a charitable WeChat app on Tuesday through which COVID-19 patients can ask about what medicines they need while those having extra supplies can offer their help by checking patients' locations. All these services and assistance are free of charge.
People are required to register using real-name authentication before posting any information via the app to avoid any malicious use of the platform or hoarding of medicines.

from China Pictorial on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ChinaPic/posts/pfbid02ae7Lz8vCwq1UgcGGY2ffveZVoTM4NS3T4pScxZvMDVh9W1kdVSz4evHQRrDhqLD9l

‘What we need is paracetamol’: Chinese authorities face backlash over drive to hand out traditional medicine Lianhua Qingwen as Covid surges

• The decision to hand out half a million boxes prompted protests from some Yunnan residents who asked for modern medicines
  • Opinion is split on the benefits of using the treatment, whose makers say it is based on a formula dating back 2,000 years

from the SCMP

f9d89d3b-ba6f-4484-a9f0-324195767a33_8d5
The Chinese government has recommended the use of Lianhua Qingwen to treat Covid. Photo: Bloomberg

Some provinces are distributing tens of thousands of boxes to residents and the medicine was officially recommended as a treatment by the government in the early stages of the pandemic.

But opinion is divided over its effectiveness as a treatment and regulators in some countries have warned against its use or even banned it.

Last week, a special task force approved the distribution of half a million boxes of the medicine along with a million rapid antigen test kits in the southwestern province of Yunnan.

The drive prompted complaints among some residents who asked for modern medicines such as paracetamol, which is currently in short supply in China.

“Why give us expensive Lianhua Qingwen? What we need is drugs that can lower the temperature, such as ibuprofen and paracetamol,” said one Weibo user.

“Why can Lianhua Qingwen be transported and distributed freely, while the usual fever drugs are not available or distributed?” asked another.

The Yunnan government said on Thursday there was an acute shortage of ibuprofen and paracetamol and the government was working to have them produced at “in full capacity”.

Body bags fill corridors at Chongqing funeral parlour as China battles Covid surge
The sight at an overwhelmed funeral parlour in Chongqing in southwest China: body bags in the corridors.

from the SCMP on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/scmp/videos/883009366387606/

Body bags fill corridors at Chongqing funeral parlour as China battles Covid surge

The sight at an overwhelmed funeral parlour in Chongqing in southwest China: body bags in the corridors.

Posted by South China Morning Post on Monday, December 26, 2022

China to downgrade management of COVID-19 from Class A to Class B from January 8

By GT staff reporters
Published: Dec 27, 2022 12:58 AM Updated: Dec 27, 2022 12:54 AM

from the Global Times

99a2d3a0-518e-415b-b8a9-fc7aa3c517aa.jpe
Medical workers walk to provide COVID-19 vaccination for senior residents at a community in Wenchang, south China's Hainan Province, Dec. 23, 2022. The door-to-door services have been offered to help the elderly get COVID-19 vaccinations in the city of Wenchang. (Xinhua/Pu Xiaoxu)

China's National Health Commission (NHC) announced on late Monday night that the management of COVID-19 will be downgraded from Class A to Class B from January 8. This means there will be no more quarantine for people entering the country, and there will be no sealed control of COVID-19 cases and designation of high-risk areas.

The country will also gradually resume entry and exit of passenger transport through water and land ports as well as outbound tourism in an orderly manner in light of the international pandemic situation and support capacity of all sectors. International passengers coming into the country should also take nucleic acid tests 48 hours before departure.

In addition, China will continue to monitor the spread of COVID-19 and keep track of COVID-19 development abroad, including changes in the virus's transmissibility, virulence and ability to escape the immune system. Appropriate measures will also be imposed to curb gathering activities and people's mobility so that the peak number won't overwhelm the medical system, said the NHC.

COVID-19's name was also changed along with the measures. It was named as novel coronavirus pneumonia at the beginning of the epidemic mainly because most patients manifested pneumonia symptoms. With the Omicron variant becoming the dominant strain, the pathogenicity has decreased and only a few cases showed symptoms of pneumonia, the NHC explained on Monday. It is more in line with the current disease characteristics to change the name to "novel coronavirus infection" instead of "novel coronavirus pneumonia," according to the NHC.

. . .

Downgrading the management of COVID-19 to Class B means that management of COVID-19 will return to the medical system's jurisdiction. Medical workers still need to diagnose, report and manage every case, and isolate patients as well as their close contacts; and disinfect every place where the virus breaks out. However, measures such as large-scale lockdowns and movement restrictions imposed by local governments will no longer be used, Zeng Guang, a former chief epidemiologist from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told the Global Times previously.