China scraps virus tracking app as country braces for Covid impact

221212102243-03-china-covid-restrictions
Health workers carry barricades inside a residential community that reopened following a Covid-19 lockdown in Beijing on December 9, 2022.

from CNN 

China is bracing for an unprecedented wave of Covid-19 cases as it dismantles large parts of its repressive zero-Covid policy, with a leading expert warning Omicron variants were “spreading rapidly” and signs of an outbreak rattling the country’s capital.

Changes continued Monday as authorities announced a deactivation of the “mobile itinerary card” health tracking function planned for the following day.

The system, which is separate from the health code scanning system still required in a reduced number of places in China, had used people’s cell phone data to track their travel history in the past 14 days in an attempt to identify those who have been to a city with zones designated “high-risk” by authorities.

It had been a point of contention for many Chinese people, including due to concerns around data collection and its use by local governments to ban entry to those who have visited a city with a “high-risk zone,” even if they did not go to those areas within that city.

But as the scrapping of parts of the zero-Covid infrastructure come apace, there are questions about how the country’s health system will handle a mass outbreak.

Throughout the weekend, some businesses were closed in Beijing, and city streets were largely deserted, as residents either fell ill or feared catching the virus. The biggest public crowds seen were outside of pharmacies and Covid-19 testing booths.

. . .

“I think most people in rural China may have some misunderstandings about the virus, which may come from the overhyping of this virus by the state in the past two years. This is one of the reasons why people are so afraid,” he said, adding that he still supports the government’s careful treatment of Covid-19 during the pandemic.

There are clear efforts to tamp down on public concern about Covid-19 – and its knock-on effects, like panic buying of medications.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

China finally approves an mRNA COVID vaccine—but only for some foreigners

December 12, 2022 at 2:56 PM GMT+8

from Fortune

GettyImages-1245472589-e1670823470473.jp

BioNTech is the first mRNA vaccine—and the first developed overseas—approved for use in mainland China, even if it’s just available to German nationals living there. 

Several Chinese companies are developing mRNA vaccines, but none have made it to final approval. In September, Indonesia—not China—became the first country to approve a Chinese-developed mRNA vaccine, from pharmaceutical company Walvax.

Fosun Pharmaceuticals, BioNTech’s distribution partner for greater China, secured 100 million doses for the Chinese market in December 2020. Yet Fosun’s applications to use its doses in mainland China are still pending, with no indication of when the mRNA vaccine will be approved for widespread use. (The semi-autonomous Chinese city of Hong Kong approved BioNTech for use in its vaccination campaigns)

China has largely relied on two vaccines, from Sinovac and Sinopharm, in its vaccination campaign. The two vaccines use an inactivated virus to confer immunity. Studies show that the two vaccines are less effective at preventing infection, severe disease and death than the BioNTech and Moderna shots, which use mRNA technology.

Sinovac and Sinopharm are both developing boosters that specifically target the Omicron variant.

Medical staff in China's hospitals say COVID-19 ripping through their ranks

NOI5MFBPINI3HCV6DPD2ABE67I.jpg
Medics wear personal protection gear as they deliver a patient to a fever clinic of a hospital as coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreaks continue in Beijing, December 9, 2022. REUTERS/Thomas Peter

from Reuters

Health experts say China's sudden loosening of strict COVID rules is likely to trigger a surge in severe cases in coming months, and hospitals in big cities are already showing signs of strain.

Reuters was unable to immediately get verification from hospitals on waiting times and bed utilisation rates, but photographs circulated on social media showed patients in Beijing and neighbouring Baoding waiting for hours to get treated.

Health officials have been recommending that people with mild COVID symptoms quarantine at home and have also said most of the cases reported in the country are mild or asymptomatic.

"Our hospital is overwhelmed with patients. There are 700, 800 people with fever coming every day," said a doctor surnamed Li at a tertiary hospital in Sichuan province.

"We are running out of medicine stocks for fever and cold, now waiting for delivery from our suppliers. A few nurses at the fever clinic were tested positive, there aren’t any special protective measures for hospital staff and I believe many of us will soon get infected," Li added.

from the Washington Post

Covid spreads and medical staff sicken after China relaxes restrictions

FES4K4BK6I3YYEYIGQCWCEPQNQ.JPG&w=916
People line up at a fever clinic in Wuhan on Saturday after the Chinese government began loosening its coronavirus restrictions. (Martin Pollard/Reuters)

Beijing municipal officials said at a briefing Monday that 22,000 patients visited fever clinics the day before, 16 times the daily average a week ago.

“Hospitals bore the brunt of zero covid and are now overwhelmed by an unprecedented outbreak,” said Yan, an eye surgeon in Beijing who disclosed only her surname because she was not authorized to speak to media. More than half of the staff members in her hospital had tested positive in the past week.

“Patients who visit the fever clinic have grown several times compared with last week, and it’s likely to go on for weeks or even months more,” she said.

A surge in cases is likely to overwhelm China’s health-care system, which has been focused for the past three years on contact tracing and quarantines rather than building up capacity for coronavirus outbreaks. China has 4.5 intensive care unit beds for every 100,000 people, according to government data, and its latest ambition to double its ICU capacity by the end of December is proving to be harder to achieve than expected.

‘Be the first person responsible for your own health’ is China’s new COVID slogan. Living up to it is easier said than done.

from the Sixth Tone on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/sixthtone/posts/pfbid02J5Va3tEUmhRTGWSYJBU7YHkxwX2BsZtMt6XVvi8C6v4QM1n2qSPjwHnKgyEL3GUFl

Life After the End of China’s COVID Restrictions
‘Be the first person responsible for your own health’ is China’s new COVID slogan. Living up to it is easier said than done.

776.jpg

China conducted its strict “zero-COVID” policy for nearly three years but last Wednesday announced a definitive move away from this long-held and extremely strict approach. The Chinese government also put forward a new COVID slogan: “Be the first person responsible for your own health,” implying a willingness to join the rest of the world in living with the coronavirus.

Changes were made quickly, with an end to citywide lockdowns, health code checks when traveling, and everyone being required to have a negative nucleic acid test result. The abrupt policy shift left ordinary Chinese not only feeling a sense of joy from their newfound freedom, but also confusion toward their new life in which they would have to co-exist with COVID.

Meanwhile, COVID-19 infections spread rapidly across China. The anxiety of being infected sparked panic buying of fever medicines and painkillers, leading to shortages online and in stores. Even canned peaches, which are rich in vitamin C, have been flying off the shelves, with people hoarding them in the hope of preventing infection from COVID-19.

China’s Elderly Care Homes on Guard to Keep COVID Out
Many care homes are said to be facing difficulties ranging from a shortage of medical supplies to no access to hospitals.

835.jpg

from the Sixth Tone

In megacities such as Beijing and Shanghai, nursing home staff and residents have isolated themselves from the outside world fearing virus transmission. Many care homes are also said to be facing a range of difficulties, from a shortage of medical supplies to no access to hospitals and a lack of emergency plans to deal with infections, domestic media reported Thursday.

A manager of a nursing home in Beijing, surnamed Tian, told Sixth Tone that he felt “stressed out” by potential COVID outbreaks at the care facility which accommodates some 40 residents, mostly over the age of 70.

“Our nursing facility is closed, but the spread of the virus cannot be completely cut off,” said the 47-year-old. “For example, it’s impossible to disinfect every leaf of cabbage transported from outside.”

. . .

So far, Tian, the Beijing nursing home manager, has had to rely on himself.

In the past weeks, he has spent over 3,000 yuan ($430) on cold, cough, and fever medicines through the help of friends outside Beijing amid shortages. But he is yet to receive the items he ordered two weeks ago due to issues with deliveries in the capital, as many couriers have been infected, too.

Canned peaches, which are rich in vitamin C, and electrolyte water have emerged as the most popular items to fly off the shelves across the nation, with people hoarding them in the hope of preventing infection from COVID-19.

Read more: http://ow.ly/V9Lq50M4mm1

from the Sixth Tone on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/sixthtone/photos/3405490873103082

Canned peaches, which are rich in vitamin C, and electrolyte water have emerged as the most popular items to fly off the...

Posted by Sixth Tone on Thursday, December 15, 2022

Funeral homes busy as China reports first Covid deaths since easing of pandemic rules
China reported two Covid-related deaths on December 19, 2022, the first official fatalities since the government shifted away from its zero-Covid policy and eased pandemic restrictions.

from the SCMP on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/scmp/videos/849954929554467/

Funeral homes busy as China reports first Covid deaths since easing of pandemic rules

China reported two Covid-related deaths on December 19, 2022, the first official fatalities since the government shifted away from its zero-Covid policy and eased pandemic restrictions.

Posted by South China Morning Post on Monday, December 19, 2022

‘All my colleagues are infected’: Beijing residents say Covid cases surging as pandemic rules ease

Covid-19 cases are rising across China, less than a week after the country lifted most of its infection-control measures since December 7, 2022. Residents on the streets of Beijing tell the Post the city is being hit by a surge of infections. Companies have asked their staff to continue working from home, and many businesses have been disrupted due to staff becoming infected in recent days.

In Changzhou City, Jiangsu Province, the Omicron Covid is all over the place.  People here seem much more receptive to it.  "You're going to get it" is the theme, then a little giggle or smile.  My wife has flipped from being so paranoid mask wearing cautious traveling in the USA, to wanting me to get exposed and get over with it, the attitude I had from the beginning.  I got out of quarantine just to have her pick me up with her having a fever starting.  She had a miserable time for a day and a half with a high fever and a bit senseless.  They have some wonder pills floating around my wife's sports office her boss sent over, that made her really feel better.  Now she is better.  Her Handball teams are sick or have been sick.  We went to buy me a Chinese phone and the store was closed.  Banks couldn't exchange currency because too many out sick.  Instead of the government shutting stuff down, the people are just home sick not able to work.  It's all self-quarantine and decision making.  Everyone is happier.  Schools are functioning the best they can instead of just forced closings.  

My Beijing Rep in China seems a little more cautious, and he says other customers are cautious, like over in Xian.  He and his family of wife and 2 sons all got Omicron and just got over it.  It hit him hard with high fever for a day, and his throat couldn't speak.  He is much better now, but he says he still tests positive and can't, or won't, travel until it reads negative.  So, I have no idea when we will see customers, AND, that will be privately over lunch or dinner, rather than visiting in their office.

My Travel:  Advice: Have WeChat app on your phone and learn how to scan a QR code coming to China.  Know the complete address and Chinese phone number of a frind where you're going in China and keep it handy for all the code forms.  Keep your mobile phone charged.  VPN already on your laptop.  If possible, a way to pay for things by scanning a QR Code, as I never would have made it through the hotels if not for my wife already in China.  Bring snacks if you have this quarantine business, which is supposed to end in January.  

Overall everyone, especially fellow passengers really warm and friendly.  No hostility toward an American.  I arrived in Shanghai from the USA on Dec 13.  We had to land in Soule Korea to change the crew who would take us on in.  No passenger allowed off.  Now all this QR Code business is ridiculous, but OK be patient...  A green moving code to get on the plane from covid test center and the Chinese Embassy in D.C. approving.  I arrive at DFW Airport just to get notified I need a BLACK QR Code too.  OK thankfully Lele there to help, since it was in Chinese.  Fly to Shanghai, where long blocked off paths weaving through the airport to an up the nose covid test taken.  More paths and I got met by another black QR code needed, so I manage to fill that out on the phone low on electricity.  Then bussed to a hotel where yet another QR Code awaited me.  One Chinese girl passenger could speak English and was very helpful, as was everyone actually.  It took 5 hours to get out of the Pudong airport and on the bus.  I guess another hour on the bus.  Got to hotel too late for dinner.  3 days in Shanghai, with a hotel that the heater worked all night, Wow.  Bussed to a transfer station in Jiangsu Province, according to which city you were going.  Took most of the day but got to Changzhou for a very upscale hotel from the 1930s or so, that was fairly wore down.  Heat turned off at night and I complained and it worked all the next night.  Dec 18 I was released.  A security monitor was already on the door of her apartment, awaiting my arrival.  It was supposed to be there for 3 days, but the rules must have changed again as it was removed the following day and I was free.  6 days, instead of the planned 8.  No one here seems to care about testing or staying inside.  Just go ahead and spread.  Weird I meet people like myself.

Edited by Doug
Corrections (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Doug - once you get your VPN installed, you may want to check out the last two videos I posted here about Beijing.

Also this one from Lei's Real Talk - She says the outbreak began during the CCP Conference

The world is anxiously watching China’s COVID cases surge as the 1.3 billion Chinese struggle to survive the pandemic blowing through the country. Western countries should develop a better strategy to deal with the burgeoning global public health and economic crisis. Today, we’ll talk about how Beijing has covered up the outbreak and who it will blame for the public health disaster. 

But yes - generally, what you'll see is a shortage of cold medicine, VERY busy hospitals, and a high percentage of closed shops, depending on where you are.

Jiaying was able to buy a CONTAC-type medicine for me, but doesn't want to bother with the crowds at the hospital where she'd have to go for my blood pressure medicine (I still have about a month's supply).

December 21, 202210:06 PM GMT+8 Last Updated an hour ago

BioNTech (22UAy.DE) mRNA COVID-19 vaccines 

First foreign COVID vaccines head to China from Germany

UL775QDCLNPL3JQAG2UOBJTC2Q.jpg

from Reuters

Berlin has sent its first batch of BioNTech (22UAy.DE) COVID-19 vaccines to China to be administered initially to German expatriates, a German government spokesperson said on Wednesday, the first foreign coronavirus vaccine to be delivered to the country.

No other details were available on the timing and size of the delivery, although the spokesperson said Berlin is pushing for foreigners other than German citizens to be allowed access to the shot if they want it.

The shipment comes after China agreed to allow German nationals in China to get the shot following a deal during Chancellor Olaf Scholz's visit in Beijing last month, with the German leader pressing for Beijing to allow the shot to be made freely available to Chinese citizens as well.

There are about 20,000 German nationals currently in the country.

"I can confirm a shipment of the BioNTech vaccine is on its way to China," the person told journalists in Berlin.

This op-ed piece in the New York Times pretty well summarizes the COVID experience in China.
This is an un-paywalled FREE shareable link.

In Opinion

“After enduring so much anxiety and disruption to their lives for the goal of suppressing Covid, people in China are left to face the virus anyway, old fears merely replaced by new ones,” writes Eva Rammeloo, a journalist based in Shanghai.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/21/opinion/china-covid.html?unlocked_article_code=uYn4BH35tHghe91xlqCTPyMqeITyLGG8gE2K8eknslQaQWaE_dX2rHIRrl9qqLxiAVxnulgoT-4HRQ4uw3NLyWkoudNERDg76V_XrmgN8xDZ_LFlIzm2eDzfe-sOh-iyWtNhBd4wStct7_7OvXxBbfKdRv_rJkABmM3ti98Gy6zCa4HVfWq8WDb_jkIpoLGrs1vllyXgNY6ARt672rr0SBm5-3m8-3m2c0-lMRrxfQGKXSJoo97yXGqJpughzfy6U0ZgSBmcwJFfoI5f8ZhBvUaJF2y2AwVCUym4kwcyggyvKPqTszG0rbylt5-bt_Hh3fVCDmI&smid=share-url

In Shanghai, Wondering What It Was All For

By Eva Rammeloo
Ms. Rammeloo is Dutch journalist based in Shanghai.

21trameloo-image-1-0b88-jumbo-v2.jpg?qua

The Chinese people’s willingness to comply with the often unreasonable and illogical Covid measures always struck me. A few would rant behind closed doors, but most bought into the propaganda of fear. The lengthy nationwide commitment to “zero Covid” wouldn’t have worked otherwise. Unsurprisingly, people are now just as eagerly latching onto the new official line that it is up to each person to stay virus-free and that for many healthy people it is just a bad flu.

After enduring so much anxiety and disruption to their lives for the goal of suppressing Covid, people in China are left to face the virus anyway, old fears merely replaced by new ones. Besides masks and antiseptics, they now scramble for painkillers and flu medications, bracing for the growing Covid wave. Maybe it will take mercifully few lives. Maybe many will die. In either case, what were the past three years of effort and sacrifice for?