Hello again. I am having some problems with my laptop. I did two separate posts because one is an immediate issue( resizing) and other is a long time problem that I have had for several years. I hope you guys don't mind. When I was staying with family in China 4 or 5 years ago I was having problem getting on the local family wi-fi network. Well I got some help from my Lao Po's nephew. He doesn't speak much /English. He helped me out and we were able to get wi-fi access. What I didn't fully realize at the time was that he downloaded Chinese software to my laptop. Some of which takes over some control of my computer. The problem that I have is that it gets in my way. I would like to isolate, quarantine or neutralize all that Chinese software. In task manager there are about 15 or so different Chinese programs listed that I want to at least deactivate. I am not sure how to do that, safely. Task Manager used to be easy to use. The new one that came with Windows 8 and 10 seem to be so different. I wish I had an older version. The Chinese software doesn't seem malevolent, it just gets in my way. At time it loads Bing, whereas I want Google. It also seem to do security scans of software that i want to use but it does not give me easy access to that software. Often it just get in my way. And since it is in Chinese I am not sure how to answer yes or no to its inquiry of what I want to do next. The icon that I see the most is a green and yellow Tai chi like ball with a 360 label and it also a green plus in the center of the ball. The computer loads and sometimes runs a little slower. I have 2 gig extra of memory that i could install but I don't think that it would help. I also have a couple of other laptops that I could start to use to use but I am scared to tranffer info from the old to new laptop. What are my options? Thanks for any help you can give me. Danb

Uninstalling them should be fine, my wife’s laptop has several of these apps, they get installed along with others she sometimes install.

Other tool I tend to run to rip this stuff off is malware bytes, the free version is all you really need todo a cleanup.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Some of the Chinese apps have 'phone home' features that will re-install themselves after they've been removed. I had to create a qq.exe file and give it read-only attribute so that it would neither execute, or allow itself to be over-written.

• Like 1

My Malwarebyte app expired but I was able to reload it again for free. It is running now. My computer has been running a bit "clunky". I have been trying to resize some photos and I got a lot of files open at the moment. Hope things smooth out. Thank you guys for all your help.