Just Say You're British

from Inkstone - an interesting story about/from the daughter of a British/Filipino marriage

Just say you’re British’: Hong Kong’s dirty little secret

sarahmoran.jpg?itok=N2Z-QICP

Twenty-six years ago, my Filipino mother left behind everything familiar to work abroad as a domestic helper. Around the same time, my British father also left his home country in search of better opportunities.
Then in 1995, I won the lottery of birth by being born in Hong Kong to a British father and a Filipino mom. That day, I gained a British passport, white skin, and a lifetime of privilege.
Hong Kong has a convoluted history and relationship with racism that people don't often like to talk about. It’s like our city’s unspoken dirty little secret.
. . .
The older generation of Hongkongers were subjected to discrimination from the Brits, yet a small number of younger Hongkongers who despise China’s heavy-handed rule loudly proclaim they would rather Hong Kong return to being a British colony.
. . .
I grew up in local schools in Hong Kong for the most part of my life. As such, I can speak, read, and write Chinese fluently and half of my friends are Chinese. Which is why despite not being Chinese in Hong Kong, I never felt like I was different or didn’t fit in.
. . .
My last boss,  who only hires white foreigners, even said: “You know, because you’re mixed, it’s a little difficult to tell where you’re from. Perhaps you should dye your hair a lighter brown, and maybe put on more makeup to emphasize your western features. Oh, and please don’t get a tan.”
Being white in Hong Kong is like winning an award for hard work you never did.