Chinese students in USA worry

from the SCMP link above

But politician’s suggestion of a sinister link between Chinese Student and Scholar Associations and Beijing is widely dismissed

607edb06-c92c-11e8-9907-be608544c5a1_128

In a speech in Washington on Thursday, Pence accused Chinese Student and Scholar Associations (CSSA) of alerting consulates and embassies whenever students, or their American schools, “stray from the Communist Party line”.
“Anyone who knows me personally will find it absurd to think I’m a spy,” said Huhe Yan, a final-year student at Columbia University in New York, who comes from Hohhot, capital of north China’s Inner Mongolia autonomous region.
“For me, the worry is not so much how my peers at the school will treat me differently because of this rhetoric …[ it’s that] biases and insecurity tend to translate into aggression, whether that be on the global stage or on the street in America.”

It is not just the Chinese students. It's the rest of the Chinese who are here. They are very worried about being detained by ICE for no reason.

Maricopa County by the way is now paying out settlements for illegal detainments by Sheriff Arpaio. Here is a link where the money was set aside. The radio this morning announced that payouts were being sent. $500 initial detainment and $20 for a period afterwards (per hour). Total almost $80 million set aside.

The Chinese community here is wary and really scared. Many are getting their citizenship, as other posts in CFL have shown..

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/09/06/maricopa-county-sets-aside-1-million-payouts-expenses-ex-sheriff-arpaios-case/635159001/