Changsha 2018

Hi guys,

Got into Changsha last night to spend a week with Rose before we fly home. In the 3 years since I've been here last, a lot has changed.

First, the streets are absolutely littered with those rental bicycles. They're everywhere! It's hard to walk down the sidewalks without tripping over them. Folks just drop them in the middle of the sidewalk and leave.

Second, Changsha has made it to the WeChat age. Cash is ok, but taxis, and most purchases are done on WeChat now. Pretty cool.

Construction is all over, as usual. They're making new subway branches, and building new high speed train lines. Makes it a bit hard to get around, but we did ok.

One thing I was amazed by is that Google is working. Translate, mail, everything. And not just in the hotel....out on the street it's working. Not sure why.... we'll see what happens when we get to secluded Lanshan county.

We're heading to Chenzhou in a few hours on the train, and then taxi for a couple hours to Lanshan to get together with family for a few days. I'll write if I can

Warren

On the road from Chenzhou to Lanshan now in a taxi, and still have access. Frankly, I'm amazed. No VPN, just regular cell signal. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth though!

This happens once in a while - check again in a day or two. It (Google) isn't working here.

I keep my VPN (almost) always on.

• 2 weeks later...

Rose and I got back late Friday night. You were right, Randy - sometimes I had Google, sometimes I didn't. More often didn't than did.

We took a bus back to Changsha from Lanshan. It was a couple hours longer than the taxi/train route, but it was SO much more beautiful! I had really wanted to see the highways and byways on Hunan a lot more, and I'm really glad that I did.

Changsha is probably 3X the size that it was in late 2014, and whereas I seemed to be the only laowai in sight back then, there were a scattering of tourists here and there now. Last Sunday, we were out shopping and visiting different places in Changsha, and I counted 25-30. The highest concentration was in the Old City, which has been preserved by the government, and is absolutely beautiful. It takes you back in time, and seems to be a tourist spot that foreigners are focusing on. i got the impression that it was more groups than individuals, so it looks like the tourist industry is alive and well there now. I'll post some pictures when I can.

Warren

• Like 3