My Life as an Illegal Street Peddler

A mildly interesting story from the Sixth Tone - no surprises, except for how good the English is

Sell, Run, Repeat: My Life as an Illegal Street Peddler

A woman recounts years spent selling goods and trying to feed her child while avoiding capture by Shanghai city officials.

http://image5.sixthtone.com/image/0/6/597.jpg

Zhang Laihua is the pen name of a hawker who operates nearby several prominent universities in Shanghai.

I have had dealings with the chengguan — the city management officials — for as long as I have been peddling. When I first began selling books at the university, I would shoulder my supplies and make a mad dash for the nearby teaching block the moment I spotted them approaching.
If caught, they would confiscate my goods or fine me. It could be as little as 200 yuan (about $30), or as much as 500 yuan — the exact amount depended on the mood of the individual chengguan.
In terms of a normal job, based on my age and qualifications, all I could get hired for would be washing dishes in a restaurant. The salary would be lower than I currently make and I would lose the freedom I enjoy as a peddler.
- Zhang Laihua, hawker