Compulsory Military Training in China

. . . usually occurs in the first month of your freshman year at college. Sights like the one pictured are common on campus during that month. As far as I'm aware, the training is not so rigorous as to be an issue.

From the SCMP - It's unclear why these students declined to participate

Seventeen young men will be banned from studying or taking flights after they defied authorities by failing to finish one month’s service in armed forces

19109602-284f-11e8-b567-adb1113855b0_128

“They have applied to leave the force after they were unable to adapt to the military training and lifestyle.

“The army, military service organisations and their parents have repeatedly counselled them but to no avail. They were dismissed by the army for refusing to serve”.
Military service is compulsory under mainland Chinese law but it is often not enforced due to the large numbers of people who enrol on a voluntarily basis every year.
All citizen aged between 18 and 22 are supposed to take part in one-month training sessions, which are usually held after students finish high school and before they start any university studies.
The group that has been blacklisted will now be banned from leaving the country or using high-speed trains.
They will also face restrictions on taking on loans and insurance as well as buying a house or other expensive assets.
They are also barred from sitting the university entrance examination and will not be allowed to enroll in any secondary institutions or repeat their current school years.
They could also forget about ever getting a job with the government or government-affiliated organisations, the statement said, and could be fined by their local governments.
. . .
Under the system those who fall foul of the authorities can be denied access to a range of services and jobs.
Negative marks will stay on people’s personal social credit scores for at least five years.

I saw some of them train when I went to China on several trips. There is some sort of academy in the city where she lives.

Close to our Boy Scouts. Nowhere near the training we get in our military or even ROTC which I was in as well. I am sure some are weeded out but others are sent to special ops or academies.

This training to me is closer to a Tai Chi class.