The Rise of the Little Pink

in the SCMP

Who are these angry Chinese dominating the internet with their jingoistic rage, where are they from and how did they emerge? We tell you

2e089ac8-41b4-11e7-8c27-b06d81bc1bba_128

The two cases this week have highlighted the growth of nationalism on the mainland, particularly among the young. Young people fired with patriotic zeal are known in China as the “Little Pink”, as “xiaofenhong” in Chinese. Along with the “50 cent gang” – internet commentators paid to sing the praises of the government – the Little Pink are regularly seen online trying to guard China against even the remotest hint of criticism.

. . .

One commentary in the People’s Daily said: “Those who were born in the 1990s, we trust you. China is embracing the new generation, who stride with confidence and act freely and without restraints. They have made an impression with sunshine and confidence.”

Although the Little Pink are generally known to be voluntary young internet users who genuinely believe they have the duty to defend China against outside criticism, there have been suspicions raised that they might be organised by state authorities.
However, there has been no evidence so far to suggest they are being directed by any government agency. Their online behaviour, though, has been publicly applauded by the authorities, including the Communist Youth League.

My feeling is it must be state organized. I just don't associate young Chinese caring about politics (or even being informed enough about politics) enough to comment.

When they say it includes young people who are abroad, I think that is even less likely - unless these commenters are part of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, which is controlled by the party:

"In a 2017 New York Times article, chapters of CSSA have been described as having "worked in tandem with Beijing to promote a pro-Chinese agenda and tamp down anti-Chinese speech on Western campuses."[2] The University of California, San Diego chapter is currently protesting against the University's decision to invite the 14th Dalai Lama to speak at its 2017 commencement."