Fish Out of Water

Another reason I don't eat seafood in China - in the SCMP

Just to be on the SAFE side . . .

Watchdog will inspect aquatic products in major cities before December 10

http://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/styles/980x551/public/images/methode/2016/11/25/a7a86d84-b214-11e6-b17d-d6b2ebc6f34a_1280x720.jpg?itok=s8BbkXI6

Many supermarkets emptied their fish tanks after receiving tips that the food safety watchdog would soon conduct random checks for chemical contamination of aquatic products, Caixin magazine reported online, citing unnamed sources at the China Food and Drug Administration.

. . .

China’s notorious food quality has made merchants fear that fish sold in their stores would not pass the checks, leaving them liable to penalties such as hefty fines.

. . .

Carrefour, Wumart and the Shanghai-listed Yonghui Superstores were among those that had stopped selling live fish, the ­Beijing News reported. The ­reasons they gave to consumers ranged from fish tank maintenance to insufficient supplies.

The NY Times version . . .

‘Something Is Wrong’: Fresh Fish Vanish From Beijing Stores, Raising Suspicions

In supermarkets across the Chinese capital, shoppers have been staring, baffled by empty fish tanks and asking: Where have all the fish gone?

. . .

“When the live fish mysteriously disappear from some supermarkets, when there’s a plethora of public explanations, when rumors and doubts abound, in the end it all comes down to having no sense of psychological security,” the paper said in a commentary published online on Thursday.

. . .

“Before, I always bought from the big supermarkets, so I thought they would be safe,” Ms. Han said. “Now I’m not so sure.”