An Outsider's Memories of China in 1960s

from China Pictorial Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ChinaPic/posts/1025348774257178

Cecilia Lindqvist, a well-known Swedish writer, recounts her unforgettable trip to China to study between 1961 and 1962. As a curious European student at Peking University, Lindqvist traveled to many places in China, including Shanghai, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Guangzhou, and Wuhan. Her stories are lively and sated with questions. Alongside the text are photos she took, most of which have never before been published. These images whisk readers back to China of the early 1960s.

“As an outsider,” she wrote in the preface of her book, “I can tell from my own experience how I had seen China during various stages of knowing the country. At first, China was like a ‘monster,’ but the more I got to know her, the deeper I fell in love with her. I owe this transformation to my frequent contact with her culture, especially language and music, and her people of different kinds.”

Born in 1932, Lindqvist is a professor, writer and photographer. Since 1962 when she finished her term at Peking University, she has returned to China many times and disseminated the Chinese culture and its social progress in her books, periodicals, and TV programs. Many of her books about China have won awards in China and her own country.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Randy W changed the title to An Outsider's Memories of China in 1960s