I-864, original or scanned copy required?

I have a question about the submission for the i864, as well as other documents for both the I130 petition and interview document submission stages.

1. My father will be our co-sponsor, and I'm wondering, if he fills out and signs and dates the form in the States, can I just have him email me a scan and use that for the submission? Or will I require the original document?

2. If the original is required, my father will be visiting a couple of months before we will need to submit the i864. Can he sign and date it at the time of the visit, or will the length of time between the signed date and the submission matter? Is there a time frame that these documents are valid for once signed?

3. Is there any kind of general guideline/list of documents that originals are required for vs. scans/copies are acceptable? For the I130 and interview submission stages? (sorry I don't know the technical names for the different stages - too many acronyms)

Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions

You can SUBMIT the copy, and then give your wife the original to take to the interview, in case it is asked for.

The actual ("wet") signature is REQUIRED for the I-864, however, it's possible that it might not be noticed. It will take effect, regardless.

The general rule is to submit copies, and then have ALL originals available at the interview.