The News from China

50 years ago today

1966: China Admonishes Red Guards
By INTERNATIONAL HERALD TRIBUNE AUGUST 28, 2016 10:11 AM

Communist China’s leaders — alarmed by a state of growing internal chaos — today [Aug.28] ordered their youthful ‘‘Red Guards’’ to stop using violence in pushing their ‘‘cultural revolution.’’

The order came amid widespread reports of beatings and acts of terror inflicted by the youthful zealots upon Chinese. Numerous reports also cited the first acts of resistance to the crusade. They said that nine of the Red Guards themselves had been killed by citizens trying to stop the rampage.

Reacting against the violence for the first time, the Soviet Union yesterday sent a sharp protest note to China demanding action to halt ‘‘outrageous provocation’’ against the Soviet embassy in Peking. It was the toughest note sent by the Soviet Union to China in more than a year. In reply, the Red Guards tonight announced plans for a massive two-day rally beginning tomorrow in front of the Soviet embassy.

Observers felt it might boil over into a heated demonstration against the Russians. — New York Herald Tribune, European Edition, Aug. 29, 1966

1996 was the year that Cultural Revolution started. When they talked of the leaders of China, was Mao in disfavor of the power to be of China? To be truthful I don't recall hearing anything of the Cultural Revolution in the 70's and earlier 80's. I guess it was not seen as not newsworthy by the western press back then. Interesting. Danb

1996 was the year that Cultural Revolution started. When they talked of the leaders of China, was Mao in disfavor of the power to be of China? To be truthful I don't recall hearing anything of the Cultural Revolution in the 70's and earlier 80's. I guess it was not seen as not newsworthy by the western press back then. Interesting. Danb

1966 to 1976. Westerners were rarely allowed access, let alone reporters. Most of us grew up hearing of "poor, starving children in China" who would eat everything on THEIR plates for dinner - and later MARRIED one.

My wife was born just before the Revolution started. It actually started when Mao criticized a paper in a Shanghai newspaper. He had been after that particular writer for some time. His criticism went viral and he decided to let it go even more, thus developing into the Revolution. It was simply a purge. He needed to get rid of the old Kuomintang and dissidents. He thought this was the way to do it but the Red Guards got out of control and he had the PLA put them down.

The wife's father was Kuomintang, high ranking officer. He wore a dunce cap every time he left his home. He worked when they let him. The family was sent to the country for "rehabilitation" and that's when my wife ate corn for 15 years, everyday except when they got a pig for Chinese New Year. She blames her smaller size on the revolution. Everyone else in the family is much taller.

You. And we end up marrying them....