Have CR-1, conditional green card, but out of States 340 days: Going b

Okay,

Tomorrow I return to the States with my wife. We got the green card while we were in the States. We came back to China for 10 months because of her parent's health issues and the fact I got a great job for 10 months. The time we have been out of the States has been about 340 days. But we did file joint taxes while in China.

What kinds of questions may we expect when we return to SFO? What kinds of potential questions may we face? What is the worst that could happen? She was mostly overseas because she was with me, and my job was in China.

More than likely they will have you visit an office at POE for extended questioning along with questions why did not file an I-131 for reentry permit.

If absence is longer than a year, they probably will cancel green card unless an I-131 filed.

Best to plan trip to have a long layover in SFO. 4+ hours.

Just to follow up on what happened... we were through the immigration line at SFO in less than five minutes. We were cautioned, however, that her 11 months out of the States would be on record.

We were also told about a three-year passport-like document we could apply for, that would allow her to be out of the country for three years. Does anybody know what that is?

Just to follow up on what happened... we were through the immigration line at SFO in less than five minutes. We were cautioned, however, that her 11 months out of the States would be on record.

We were also told about a three-year passport-like document we could apply for, that would allow her to be out of the country for three years. Does anybody know what that is?

All I know of is a 2 year document called a re-entry permit from filing an I-131.

Yes the period out of country will be recorded, it will affect if and when can apply for citizenship, any period longer than 6 months resets the clock.

If expecting to be out of the country for a very extended period, others simply relinquish the green-card (I-407), apply for a 10 year visit visa to visit, and then in the future file for another immigrant visa to move to the USA permanently.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/I-407/