Groundwater subsidence

from the Christian Science Monitor

Why Beijing (and 45 other cities in China) are sinking

Beijing sinking 11 cm per year: Major Chinese cities are sinking. What lessons do the world's other sinking cities have for China?

This sinking phenomenon, called subsidence, has a number of causes. The rapid construction of massive buildings, roads, and other infrastructure projects has put a lot a weight on the ground.

Excessive pumping of groundwater is also a major problem that plagues thirsty urban areas as they struggle to keep up with rising populations and water demand. Both Shanghai and Beijing have struggled with overtaxed aquifers.

And the sinking soil has an impact on other critical aspects of city infrastructure.

Scary. I know Fushun, my wife's home, has the second biggest open pit borrow coal mine in the world. They are concerned that the borrowing method is causing the surrounding land to crack, more or less like an ant would trying to get out of a pit surrounded by sand. The more then tries to get up, the more sand comes back down on him. And this is all located right under the city. A hug crack was detected and it looks like there will be some migration of inhabitants. Haven't heard of any so far though.