Step-son, F2B, and in-between-time visa options

Hi,

My wife and I filed an I-130 last summer for our 21-year-old stepson. He is now under the F2B process.

Question is this: Can he visit us in the States while we are awaiting the current seven-year wait time? What kinds of visas would he be eligible for? Any catches to beware of?

TIA,

Kevin

Hi,

My wife and I filed an I-130 last summer for our 21-year-old stepson. He is now under the F2B process.

Question is this: Can he visit us in the States while we are awaiting the current seven-year wait time? What kinds of visas would he be eligible for? Any catches to beware of?

TIA,

Kevin

He can apply for a B-2 visitor's visa. These days, they have a fairly good rate of success, although he must prove strong ties to China to ensure his return.

Hi,

TIA,

Kevin

He can apply for a B-2 visitor's visa. These days, they have a fairly good rate of success, although he must prove strong ties to China to ensure his return.

He is a university senior graduating this year. He has no job lined up. He does have a house, but because of the &*^(*% building contractor, there still is no valid deed owned by any of the 100+ families who have lived in the building these past four years. He is trying, for his second time, to pass the exam to enter into graduate school. He failed the first exam. So what kinds of things could be said that would "prove strong ties to China"? I doubt the fact that he thinks his mother and I moving back to the States in 48 days is a crazy idea, nor would the interviewer probably believe him about how he doesn't want to move to the States (which is true).

I can't say that I would have a clue as to what his chances are - it just depends on whether you want to take that chance. The odds have improved dramatically in recent years.

The only downside would be the application fee.

Use the evidence he HAS - you can't sweat about what he doesn't have. He DOES have a house, right? Other family, a father?

Like Randy said, other than the application fee, can't hurt to apply and give it a try.

I've had friends who have prepared absolutely nothing in terms of evidence and got US travel visas. Similarly, I've known people who have extremely strong ties to China and prepared boat loads of evidence, and were denied their US travel visa.

I think all you can do is prepare as you best see fit, and be honest with the visa officer.

In the perfect world, this should be enough to get your step-son the visa, but, I guess all you can do is put yourself at the discretion of the visa officer.

• Like 1