I think I'd like a Laser Egg

in the WSJ. You need a subscription to read the article, but the video is free

New Gadgets Help Chinese Cope With Pollution

“The 3M mask suffocates me if I wear it too long,” Ms. Li said about one of the more popular types of masks available in China. She liked the Mini Lung-Pro, which retails for 190 yuan ($29), so much that she bought five more for her friends, though she admitted the nose-to-arm apparatus does turn heads on the street.

the Laser Egg

Meet the world’s most popular smart air quality monitor.

If I can find out more about it, maybe I'll order one

Their story

A review -

Checking Your Indoor PM2.5, Cheaply, With The Laser Egg

So how reliable is the Laser Egg, and is the price too good to be true? For accuracy, you can check out the company’s own comparison testing with the US Embassy’s monitor, but perhaps you’d rather see more independent tests such as this reviewer’s comparative testing with much more expensive sensors. It’s in Chinese but just from his photos you see they’re generally the same. I’ve discussed the Egg with some pollution experts in Beijing and they’re generally supportive but mention that humidity can mess with the numbers a bit, and also putting Eggs side to side will show slightly different numbers. But in general, on a consumer level, it certainly does what it says it does.

Comparing with the U.S. Embassy in Beijing

Just how accurate is the Laser Egg?