Window 10 hijacker. Bad.

danb

Sadly, I fell for the Windows 10 upgrade lure. It basically ended up bricking my 7 year old laptop computer and I lost most of my software (though not my data which I had backed up onto an external usb hard drive). After losing about 120 hours in evenings and weekends to get Windows 10 to partially sluggishly work, I bit the bullet, reformatted my hard drive and went back to Windows 7 which works even better now (probably because reformatting the hard drive got rid of some bloat ware programs that came with the computer).

Windows 10, never again! I don't like that it is intrusive and tracks your every move on the Internet to deliver advertising. I had looked into buying a North Face hoodie and then every web site for the month that I was on Windows 10 rammed ads for North Face hoodies (hooded sweatshirts for those who aren't familiar with the term) down my throat. maybe I am a dinosaur but I work with pcs and I think software peaked about 7 years ago. The recent changes to new Microsoft context sensitive menus try to outthink what you are trying to do and limit options which drives me crazy.

• Like 2

This seems to be a pretty thorough discussion.

How to stay on Windows 7 & 8 forever: disable GWX and uninstall the KB3035583 update to stop Windows 10 upgrade notifications

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users, but not a mandatory one. If you don't want to be nagged to update, here's how to stop the Windows 10 upgrade notifications and run Windows 7 or 8 forever.

In general, be careful about what you do to your machine based on what you read on the Internet - this is from Microsoft on answers.microsoft.com

How Do I Remove Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser?

Anusha Verma replied on 9/16/2015 6:56:05 PM Created

• Microsoft
  • Support Engineer
Hi,
Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community,
To remove the Win10 notification go to Control Panel > Programs & Features
On the left top side you will see “view installed updates” Click that
In the search window (upper right side) paste KB3035583
Right click KB3035583 and click uninstall
You will have to restart your computer

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anusha

Windows 10 took over my wife's computer the other day.She didn't ask for it it did it by itself. In the process she lost her Pinyin input. when I try to install it it says unavailable. I wanted to reinstall the Chinese simplified language pack and it says it's unavailable also. It screwed up her web cam too. Needless to say wifey aint happy.

• 2 months later...

Too late, but for others, you can control how Windows manages Updates through the Control Panel applet Windows Update Change Settings - select "Check for Updates but let me choose whether to install them"

My Chinese-installed systems are all set to NOT update, until I go in and change that setting. That is, they will not accept automatic updates unless you change that setting.

My two systems that I WANT to upgrade (not this one) are both HP computers - which MS is still "testing" - sigh.

An upgrade update:

The last day for the free upgrade is coming. If you're still on the fence about it, it's time to s**t or get off the pot.

Although there are apparently ways to extend the availability, either by downloading (but not installing) the update now, or by getting your key to Windows 10 to save for later installation. Do your own research if you want to try that.

This page may help with ALL options -

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Why upgrade to Window 10? Is Windows 10 good? The pros and cons of upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 | Free upgrade to Windows 10 ends in two weeks!

With my four Windows 7 computers that I would have upgraded, two were Chinese OEM_SLP channel. I think you can upgrade these anyway, but my wife's is set for no updates. Mine (this computer I'm on now) unfortunately seems to have a habit of going blank (black screen) whenever certain upgrades are applied, so I will leave it where it is.

I see that the black screen issue is covered in the linked article, but I will leave it alone.

My two HP computers upgraded successfully, even after one told me "No", that I had unsupported hardware. I was able to upgrade manually.

I think the advantage to Windows 10 is that it is a complete, clean install in place. Earlier versions were installed bare-bones style, with drivers, and software and other utilities installed on top. Windows 10 installs cleanly with everything already in place.

So on my TV video, the video seems smoother at any resolution.

Anyway, your choice - for another two weeks.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)