Hi,

First time poster. I love this site, it has given me so much information and confidence as I prepare to start the process for my wife's green card.

I have lived in China for the last 6 years and haven't filed a tax return since I have been here. I am getting ready to file my back taxes. I will file for 2013, 2014, and 2015. My question is: Is there any chance that I will need a tax return from 2012? Or is the last 3 years going to be enough?

Thanks so much in advance.

A few pointers, yes for the I-864 at most they can expect past 3 years returns attached as evidence of income ability. However later down the road the IRS could always audit you for the other unreported years so it probably would be a good idea to file all missed returns, in most cases you owe nothing so there is no penalty.

As for the I-864, the visa interviewing officer is more concerned with your income after arrival in the states, so unless you can show a job offer or evidence you will have work after returning to the USA, they probably will require a joint sponsor.